Diabetes and depression.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I got diagnosed (about a month ago) they thought I had depression. Ive always suffered with anxiety but as I decided how things had began to get even worse the doctors decided to do a blood test to "rule out" any medical problems. Turned out. I was diabetic. Diabetes has always been in my life I mean the majority of my fathers family had it, but when I was diagnosed I fell apart. I am currently struggling to cope with it especially it being Christmas time but I need to learn to "accept it and respect it.

Reactions: dbr10 and himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there @Charlottechloe
welcome to the forum !! :)
life does get turned upside down with a D diagnosis.
until your new routine becomes a routine it is really important to be kind to yourself

Being kind to myself is something I actively try to do every day - it helps me for sure after 45 years diagnosed !!

Reactions: Nidge247 and dbr10

tvnerd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I got diagnosed (about a month ago) they thought I had depression. Ive always suffered with anxiety but as I decided how things had began to get even worse the doctors decided to do a blood test to "rule out" any medical problems. Turned out. I was diabetic. Diabetes has always been in my life I mean the majority of my fathers family had it, but when I was diagnosed I fell apart. I am currently struggling to cope with it especially it being Christmas time but I need to learn to "accept it and respect it.

Hello Charlotte. Even I was diagnosed only a few months ago. In the beginning you just feel lost and overwhelmed. All you can do is take it one day at a time. When I was diagnosed I was on 42 units of insulin a day (8 novorapid/ 18 lantus). A few months later I am now on 11 (2+2+1 novorapid/ 6 lantus). No one in my family had diabetes and I had to figure it out. It seems like given your family’s history you’ll get the right support and advice. I’m sorry that you have to deal with this but it WILL get better. Let me know if you want to talk. Good luck!

Reactions: himtoo

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)

Hello there Charlotte and a big welcome to the forum.

Yes it can be beyond overwhelming to be diagnosed with any chronic illness not least diabetes, however it is a condition that many of us (all types) live with positively. There is absolutely no reason why you will not live a full and fulfilled life and go on to achieve everything you would have achieved if never diagnosed.

Just take things easy and get to know your condition. This forum is fantastic for knowledge so look through and read everything relevant to you. Ask as many questions as you can.

Try not to get to anxious and don't over analyse everything. There is a lot to take in but you will get to know your personal diabetes and you will be able to manage it as part of living your life as fully as you wish to.

There are three things you will need to follow to achieve good management and long term good health and they are simply

1. Take your medication (learn about them)
2. Keep active (exercise)
3. Eat a healthy diet relevant to you and any other conditions you may have (stay away from sugary foods)

Basically thats it. OK so you may need to cut out on certain foods (which you will learn to) and you will need to take some meds but fundamentally thats it!

The longer you have this condition the more you will understand it. Use your personal experiences (good and bad) to learn from and move forward.

There is a sign in my Diabetes Clinic and it reads "Be a better expert on your diabetes than your Dr" I love that. If it's part of you, you need to learn about it. Embrace it, respect it and it will respect you.

Everything will be OK Charlotte. Remember those three things above. Small price to pay to be healthy and happy,

All the best..

Reactions: AlexJD

Macdonald1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Charlotte, you will get there, you learn to live with your diabetes. I was diagnosed 2 and a half years at 41, it was a shock and it took time to get my head around the injections, testing blood . I am on novorapid 3 times a day and lantus at night, what a difference it has made to my life. Before I was diagnosed I lost 2 stone I am now a health weight again, I was tired all the time that has now stopped. You will get there, you adjust, you are alive. You will have your good days and bad days everyone does, don’t let your diabetes control you. Good luck :)

Reactions: lindijanice

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes can be hard to accept at times and depression is such an invisible afliction. You smile on the outside but are crying on the inside. It can be hard to stay positive especially when you have just been diagnosed as there is so much conflicting advice out there but if you can sift through everything and start to make a plan it does help. When I was first diagnosed I considered myself lucky as I was simply too sick to eat so my BS came down quite nicely and after finding the forum I started gathering recipes and charts and planning my strategy. I have always suffered from insomnia, stress and depression and after being diagnosed and getting myself on track they all improved. After a tough couple of years of going off track completely I am now getting myself back on track but I'm coming to realise the depression may never go away. I have my own way of coping with it and it seems to be working for me at least. I hope you had a good Christmas and hopefully you will find the forum to be a source of support and guidance.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Negative People
Sometime I feel like I have to go through a whole ritual just to eat so sometimes I skip meals I take meteor in ,novolog 3 times a day and lantus at night