Type 1 Diabetes and disability.

Manicman68

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I understand, through the advocacy pack produced by d.u.k., that diabetes can be classified as a disability but the one question that the pack doesn't answer is "How do I go about registering myself as disabled?"
Does anybody know how to go about this and what do I need to do now?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Its counted as a disability to ensure that peesons with this illness are not treated differently. Mainly by Employers... They have to make allowances and provision for peesons to be able to inject. Or for example airlines will offer some sort of diabetic supposedly better for diabetics..

Apart from that unless you have complication that are disabling ie you lose your sught or leg etc or need help from a parent if you are a child then you are unlikely to get disability payments.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here is some information on registering as disabled - http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2571.aspx - unless you have significant diabetic complications or another health problem impacting your sight, hearing, mobility or your ability to care for yourself you don't qualify for anything requiring registration.

Type 1 diabetes is a disability for the purpose of the equality act. That means we cant be fired or kicked out of a pub for injecting. But hopefully diabetes on its own shouldn't have an impact on your ability to live a normal life or entitlement to any disability benefits. I sincerely hope you aren't suffering from any complications that are having an impact, if you are I would suggest discussing the support available with your GP.

Reactions: 2 people

Manicman68

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am aware of those details and I appreciate you taking the time to respond but it doesn't actually answer my question. After forty years of trying to be the same as everybody else I'm finally going to admit that I'm not.
So I need to know the not-so-philosophical answer to the question "Now what?"

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is nothing to register. Whether you are disabled for the purpose of the equality act is a question of fact, you either have a long term condition that, without treatment, would have a significant impact on your ability to carry out day to day activities, or you don't. As a type 1 diabetic you do. But there is no register for this.

Reactions: 2 people