1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetes and Heat

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by WarDoctor, Jun 18, 2017.

1. WarDoctor

WarDoctor Type 2 · Member

I know when it's warm people feel the heat.
    However I am interested to know if anyone else finds being diabetic makes them feel hotter than you would expect?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Sure do. Since insulin 80 is too hot and I used to love 90's

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I do not know about the heat, but the colder weather gets to me more.

Edit: Inserted the word "know".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #3 Tipetoo, Jun 18, 2017 at 8:43 PM
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  4. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I'm getting some weird bg results on Toujeo300 and novarapid.
    Like novarapid not working and basal thinking about it.

I might need to by a cooler wallet afterall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Dairygrade

Dairygrade Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi wardoctor and welcome to the forum yes pretty sure it does I'm on insulin and today ive been sweating sat in front of a fan and have had 2hypos in the space of the afternoon so I'm sure it does effect it ?

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. WarDoctor

Sorry to hear you had a couple of hypo's. On top of being hot that must be a freaky experience having hypo's too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. WarDoctor

Thanks everyone for your replies. It's comforting knowing one is not on their own in things. Sometimes I think our physical health like diabetes drives us more potty than a mental health problem!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

When I have lows I can tolerate the heat more. When I'm higher than 7.8mmol/l I suffer with thrush and hot insides. My body feels like a radiator at mo.
    Only a/c would rectify. Down south I used to run it in the summer but my bungalow not as hot as the boat house conversion.
    If the north-east warmed up more due to global warming I'll reinvest in a new one. Very comfortable experience with it. Especially when I was pregnant.
    Pre a/c unit and 1st pregnancy I used to hug frozen 2ltr bottles of water in a teatowel between legs and nod off to sleep.
    Maybe that participated in becoming fertile with metformin after 10yrs+ of infertility?
    My body temperature was out, maybe.

9. Dairygrade

Dairygrade Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks wardoctor for reply much appreciated just a quick update just done blood sugar test again down to 3.7 so edge of hypo again for 3rd time looks like another sleepless night flipping hot weather.

10. Fleegle

Fleegle Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes the hot weather has a notable impact on my BG. Though I am not sure it isn't related to de-hydration to.
    I find the running at normal BG is 1mmol at least higher than when it is cooler. I find that food spikes less. Really hard work to get below 6.8 when normally after the two hour mark I am sailing towards 6 and less than 6 in three hours.

It doesn't seem to be the sun so much as humid - so as I sit here this evening BG still at 6.4 even though I ate some 4 hours ago.

Not that I would wish for low BG either - but I wish mine went down in the summer rather than up.

11. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I tend to have a threshold temperature, above which my insulin sensitivity increases. That's around 25C. This weekend, I've been significantly more sensitive whilst being at home in temperatures that rarely fell below 27.

When in the office, I fall back to normal levels thanks to A/C.

One of the benefits of OpenAPS is that it measures ISF at point in time and adjusts accordingly, which means you can see the changes.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. JBlaza

JBlaza Type 1 · Active Member

I am definitely more insulin sensitive, i have reduced my background and am able to eat 20g carbs without spiking or needing to bolus. Means I haven't felt guilty having the odd ice cream!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Hi and welcome!

I don't cope with the heat very well. Never have... but then I've had glucose intolerance and wangy blood glucose for a long time too, so can't compare before and after... I do know that I would choose holidaying in the fjords over a safari, any day!

• Agree Agree x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook