diabetes and hookah pipes

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read online that hookah (shisha, Arabian waterpipes) are associated with diabetes mellitus, but the word "associated" is generally a cheap shot used by lazy academics who find statistical associations, but can't be bothered to look for the actual scientific causal links. So I'm wondering: is using hookah "associated" with diabetes because the people smoking pipes are often overeating and overdrinking, or is there anything actually in hookah that causes diabetes? My assumption is that there is no link.

Last edited:

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rumour has it in some parts of Australia that drinking bong water can cause various diseases, and as a hookah is a up market bong I would steer clear of them.

On a side note, the sale / import of liquid nicotine was made illegal to vapers yesterday here as well.

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, of course, the purpose of life is not to prolong life. If you have a hookah pipe once a week, so what? That's called living. The lack of accurate information and the tendency of low-rung academics to produce paper after paper on associations, with no real examination of hard scientific links makes it difficult to be sure of anything. An Iranian study showed hookah pipe users were more likely to be diabetic.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, of course, the purpose of life is not to prolong life. If you have a hookah pipe once a week, so what? That's called living

I absolutely agree, I would call it a choice rather than 'living' though, the same goes with any drug or even food/carbs of course, you don't have to justify any of it, if an individual wants to 'live' by making choices good or bad for them, it's nobody elses business. So what?, well as long as that person is prepared to live with any consequences then yes, it's a so what.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, of course, the purpose of life is not to prolong life. If you have a hookah pipe once a week, so what? That's called living. The lack of accurate information and the tendency of low-rung academics to produce paper after paper on associations, with no real examination of hard scientific links makes it difficult to be sure of anything. An Iranian study showed hookah pipe users were more likely to be diabetic.
Please don’t think I was judging you for smoking the pipe, I couldn’t care a less what you do, or what anyone else thinks about my choices as long as I am not hurting anyone else, I have spent 51 year abusing myself in one way or another, I am in no position to judge :)

Reactions: ianf0ster