Diabetes and pets...

Amysaward89

Just wondering what’s typed of animal can help with ur diabetes... and how do u apply to get one?

I really want a pet but my landlord has said no... not even allowed a rabbit... so I’m tried to find away around getting a pet... it would be great to have one... specially if it can help with hypos and stuff as I don’t have any hypo warnings

Would be grateful for an advise....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Amysaward89 ,

As far as I know the only animal capable of alerting the owner to hypogycemia is a dog..
These dogs are trained to a high standard & some don't always make the "grade."
I believe there is a high demand for these assistance dogs.

If you are having issues with hypo awareness it may be easier seeking to invest in a CGM with an alarm system for if/when BGs drop out of range...?
Certainly discuss your loss of hypo warning with your doctor & diabetic team..

If it's just a pet you wish? (Dogs are very rewarding companions.) you will probably need to find another landlord who is willing to accommodate..

Best wishes.

J>

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The people who train medical assistance dogs would not place one where the landlord refused to allow pets. Therefore if that's what you want, your first task is to find accommodation that does allow them.

However, if it's animal company you seek, how about volunteering at a rescue centre?

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The people who train medical assistance dogs would not place one where the landlord refused to allow pets. Therefore if that's what you want, your first task is to find accommodation that does allow them.

However, if it's animal company you seek, how about volunteering at a rescue centre?
Why wouldn't they? I mean, it seems odd to me that an assistance animal would be affected by a "no pets" rule. It's sad if that is the case.

Reactions: lindisfel

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Landlord's property: landlords decision.
"Assistance animal" has a wide remit, and often people use that as an excuse to keep an animal when they have little idea of what is really involved in everyday animal care. Those who train assistance dogs don't intend them to go to any home where the property owner is not comfortable with having animals on the property. Speaking as someone who lived in rented property surrounded by other rented properties for many years, it would surprise many good people just how much damage some tenants will allow an animal to do. Eventually a landlord has just had enough with the damage and won't allow animals any more.

• Informative
Reactions: SaskiaKC