Diabetes and Sleep Disorder

Wejdan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have insomnia since 7 years. A doctor wrote me Lyrica for neaoropathic. Lyrica is a controlled drug. I slept well last night after taking the first pill. However, I read bad side effects for it. This morning I found that diabetes causes insomnia in article I read today I was shocked..

How do you heal sleep disorder? And neaoropathic?

JohnyT2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I dont have a perfect answer, but one way that works for me is tiring out body by doing hard work, be it exercise or just long walk or cycling or swimming or chopping of woods. Once body is tired the sleep comes naturally.

Not sure about your condition at large, so cant help much.

Reactions: porl69 and Muneeb

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As above, it only really affects my sleep if its low. Even if its high I can generally sleep well but will get up thirsty and feel groggy.

I found exercise to help a lot, as I'm generally more tired. But the thing that has helped me the most is having a consistent routine, I generally go to bed at the same time and get up around the same time (weekday or weekend), with this I use 'Do not disturb' on my phone from 10pm to 6am, unless anything is urgent (through exceptions) it doesn't beep or vibrate. You won't believe how much better sleep I get now.

The amount of times I was about to go to sleep and my phone would vibrate, then the brain kicks in, should I check it, should I not, then you end up replying and its messed up the sleep already. This would be similar for any electronic device really.

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Only ever have trouble sleeping if my bloods are low. Sleep like a log other than that

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I do not sleep well and I never have, so I am on a sleep programme at the moment, no drugs involved.