diabetes and surgery

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
Hi, in a few weeks i have to have my gallblader removed. Is surgery for type 2 pretty much straight forward? I have tried looking online for answers and get conflicting views... I know surgery has its risks anyway but is it a case of dont eat or take your meds that morning or is there a bit more to it than that?

sooliz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd also be interested in the answers to this, as I've just had my gallstones appointment with the consultant (the initial consultation) cancelled and been discharged from that hospital, because they suddenly realised I was diabetic! It was a private hospital that takes NHS patients on the Choose n Book referral scheme, my GP said because there is a very slight risk of complications with surgery on people who are diabetic, the private clinic (who can pick and choose their patients) decided not to see me :evil:

SueR

I had a hysterectomy 6 years ago and had no problems with my care. I am type 2 and at the time was only on medication and diet.

The hospital was excellent and checked my blood sugars on a regular basis - I had complications during surgery and was under longer than they had planned. I was on a sliding scale and had no problems what so ever. All of my care was excellent.

I did, however, have to change consultants as the first one refused to operate because of the fear of complications. The second consultant was extremely understanding and was quite happy to operate regarding my gyny problems to be more important than the so called side effects. He later said that the complications during surgery were a result of the problem not being sorted out sooner.

Ask for a second opinion.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I had a very minor day surgery op, with full anaesthetic, just after Christmas. The hospital were fine. I was top of the list (one advantage of being diabetic!), and was told not to take my meds that day. I'm metformin only - it may be different if you're on anything else.

You should be called for a pre-assessment when they check your heart etc, and that's the time to discuss what they want you to do and make sure that the fact you have diabetes is on your notes. Ask as many times as you need to until you're sure both sides agree on whether you take your meds etc.

I was looked after superbly in the Day Surgery Unit (never mind falling passionately in love with the anaesthetist - wow :D ), and given a nice sandwich and some excellent coffee as soon as I was able to eat afterwards. When they wanted to check my BGs they let me do it with their equipment.

All in all I had a good experience, and I hope yours is too. Good luck to both of you!

Viv 8)

saz1

Hi,

I had shoulder surgery and was approved to be a day case and had no other special things in my care either. I had my blood sugars taken before the op and again mid morning and then in recovery afterwards. The only reason I stayed in hospital was my tiredness after the anaesthetic.

Unfortunately I had to have further surgery due to an infection (NOT a surgical/diabetes related one though!) and then the diabetes nurses looked after me amending my medication as required. All in all, as long as your diabetes is well controlled and your sugars don't run high as a rule, your risk of complications are minimal.

SueR

I was in for a week and had no problems either. My sugar levels were checked 4 times a day and by the day after the op was eating light meals.

Found their idea of a diabetic diet rather odd, as they had no sweeteners and digestive biscuits were all that was on offer as a snack. Whilst most patients tucked into desserts I was limited to yogurts or digestive biscuits. No fruit was offered - not even bananas. This was 5 years ago, so I hope things have improved since then.

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
The first time i went into hospital for gallstone trouble was december 12th. I must of had an infection as well as my sugars hit 31. I was quite poorly and the nurses was checking my bg 4 times a day. No action was taken by them though to try and lower it. I was in for 3 days then sent home. The doctor who done the rounds told me the waiting list is 6 - 8 weeks and they will put me towards the top. 2 weeks later i was back in with the same troubles. 3 weeks ago i rang the hospital direct as i still hadn't had an appointment through only to be told i wasn't even on the list and they didn't even know i was diabetic. They said they would sort it right away. Today i rang the hospital only to find they still haven't got me on the list. When my problems started i had high sugars, now i feel sick 24/7 and cant eat properly so have had 2 hypos so far. I went to see a doctor this morning and he said he would look into it but his attitude was carefree so i dont even know what the out come of that will be.

Tracey69

Hi
I would just do the normal things don't take meds and don't eat, but make sure when you go in for the op that you remind them you are a diabetic. This should then hopefully put you first on the list and usually the care is really good.
Make sure you have a small snack the night before and keep check on your blood sugars.
Hope all goes well & good luck.
Tracey

SueR

I'm due to have a lumbar puncture soon - just been told this morning - and will be in as a day patient. The last time I was in hospital I was on meds only and now that I am on insulin this will be different. I will contact the hospital and see what they advise about meals and meds etc.

Hopefully, I'll be first on the list and get it over and done with quickly. :D

David Rider

Dislikes
very hot curry's
If anybody is in hospital or awaiting surgery and when your at home and your sugar levels are well under control by yourself DON'T let the hospital put you onto a insulin sliding scale machine. You insist thatyou can control your sugars yourself.The hospital will always try to take over.All the NHS are worried about is as long as their paper is conplete and their little boxes are ticked and dont think what the patient would rather do.Good luck with any surgery and stand by what you think is right and always ask questions.

SueR

Thanks for that advice.

My sugar levels are not fully under control, but I am in regular contact with my diabetic nurse and she is happy with the way things are progressing. I know she works at the hospital, so I may be able to get her involved.

I'll certainly contact her and let her know what's going on and see what she has to say.