Diabetes and Train conductors?

natbatbbz1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

Is it possible to have type 1 and be a train conductor?

Would be great if you are a train conductor and could let me know

Not for me. My brother (recently diagnosed with t1d at the age of 25) is looking for a new job

Reactions: kitedoc

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would check with the rail franchise offering the job - before spending time filling out the paperwork.

My husband works on the railway, and I have just queried this with him.
He confirmed that the company he works for (First Transpennine) classifies the guard role (conducting) as a Safety Critical job. People injecting insulin are not currently allowed in Safety Critical roles. The regulations may change in the future, but that is the way things are at the moment.

He can’t say whether this is the case for all rail franchises across the country.

Reactions: natbatbbz1

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I can only comment on Australia, however all the rules seem to be similar. I am a qualified and active guard and qualified Conductor. Although my work is voluntary we must meet the National Rail Authorities standards. Whilst my counterparts only do a medical once every 5 years, I have to do one every year, however 4 of those years the Dr just reviews my test results has a chat and I'm good to go.
Here is the link to the UK standards https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/GOOTC302 Iss 1.pdf there is no mention of Diabetes, but section -
5.1 General Health In general terms, candidates must not suffer from medical conditions, or be taking medical treatment, likely to cause:-
(a) sudden loss of consciousness
(b) impairment of awareness or concentration
(c) sudden incapacity
(d) impairment of balance or co-ordination
(e) significant limitation of mobility
(f) visual impairment of a temporary or transient nature.

(a) and (c) will be the issue so unless he has a lot of serious Hypos. A good Drs report should make a & c not be an issue

Reactions: kitedoc and Prem51

natbatbbz1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the responses everyone!

From what I can gather from the legislature it’s sudden illnesses, but if he monitors I think he will be ok....

Will get the forms filled in and sure il let everyone know the outcome :)

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I would suggest if the form asks about medication or an existing illness, I would suggest getting a Drs report and attaching it. It's easy for the reviewer to look at the ticks in the wrong spot and discard it. It's much harder if there are ticks in the wrong spot with an explanatory note. After a lot of experience on both sides of the interview table, if there are 3 applicants and they want to interview 2 and the others tick the right boxes he won't get a look in. Get a good letter and it will work in his favour as they can justify the answers and they will think this guy really wants this job due to the trouble he has gone to. If the forms don't ask don't tell, but have that letter ready for the next step. I wish him all the best.