1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetes burnout, anyone?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by carlos fandango, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Spencer67

Spencer67 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Burn out or not there is still no choice, you have to get up and manage it to the best of your ability and then some or the complications will sneak up on you, what gets me is the lack of knowledge the doctors have, they have the condition labelled but just have their cosy hypothesis to cover their backs that can change over night, the best thing i've discovered here is the Low Carb Hi Fat diet <<Link>> as far as i can see diabetics are pretty much alone in their struggle. Burn out has brought me here.

I know i have suffered with moods swings through the sugar and carb addictions, i don't know where your at but burn out is about your state of mind, diabetes disrupts the endocrine system and hormone levels suffer, these control our moods. I have started taking some supps (DHEA) that help with hormone control where it has been damaged by adrenal fatigue, its too early to say how effective it is yet but i'm on it with the Low Carb High Fat diet now.

I have had to re-evaluate my life and bring in more conscious decisions, no more booze, fags or other toxins that can poison my body, if i want to live well, we have to be careful not to believe the bs that the media hype us, don't forget we are controlled by the mass media hype and immoral markets for our eating habits and diabetes is about what we consume and we've been lied to for a long time, its far easier to buy the **** they serve us and consume it without even having to think about it rather than find the good wholesome real untainted food, there is sugar in everything, living well is not how the mass media tries to teach us it is the opposite of all they say.

I see it as being a type 1 diabetics we are like an antennae for the masses once we start getting ill it's a sign something is wrong, and what is wrong is the food we eat and the stresses we expose ourselves too, i'm also a fan of the raw diet, taking mind body and spirit seriously is my way now, guess we are growing up but thankfully there is a lot of good information out there to help us make better mature decisions, it's a matter of finding it and putting it into practice and not letting the bastards grind you down. Burn out is the faze you need to breakthrough and start being kind to yourself again, taking back control and staying positive.

• Like Like x 4
    #21 Spencer67, Feb 12, 2015 at 4:59 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015
  2. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

You are not on your own.
    We are all here with you if not in person definitely emotionally.

• Like Like x 8
  3. DeejayR

DeejayR Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I'm proud to be a member of the forum that refreshes the parts other forums cannot reach and I hope you will feel the same way too soon . Welcome.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Flakey Bake

Flakey Bake Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Carlos,
    You have coped brilliantly for so many years, no complication, really well done to you! It is no wonder that you are feeling the weight at the moment because it sounds like all that success has been achieved from within and you have now run out of energy. It might help to shake things up a bit, some new personal non-diabetes challenges. Or look at the diabetes from a different angle: some new diabetes gadgets/apps (might sound daft but I found a new monitor very motivating), a new support group, and definitely a honest chat with the diabetes nurses about how you are feeling. Please don't rule out treatment for depression, depression is not a weakness, it is a side-effect of diabetes and there is help out there. I wish you all the best, embrace some support and I think you will feel better soon.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Heathenlass

Heathenlass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Diabetes burnout is real . Been there , done that. Not only got the T shirt, but the matching hoody and beanie too ! Unfortunately, when it hit me it happened at a bad time in my life anyway, so was a double whammy that took some drastic changes to get me out of it. Basically, I needed a whole new lifestyle, leaving a well paid professional job for something much more back to my roots and a lot less well paid :rolleyes:

So that's exactly what I did. Not much help there in the way of advice, because that's not the answer for everyone, but the lifestyle change came from a lot of introspection and the realisation that dealing with diabetes was only one part of it all, but underpinned everything else.

You have found a good place, and I'm sure that the support you find here will help you along the way :) A big first step is the knowledge that you are not the only person to feel like this, and that support is there for you.

A warm welcome from,

Signy :)

• Like Like x 8
  6. carlos fandango

carlos fandango Type 1 · Member

Just wanted to say another thanks to everyone who's been lovely and warm and welcoming - and informative. : )

Yesterday was such a revelation, and I'll be talking to my boss today about burnout / stress / etc, so hopefully they can cut me some slack. I've also ordered a couple of books, and I'll talk to my 'care team' if I don't think the books are going to help.

Thanks again. You're all right, you lot. ; )

• Like Like x 7
  7. millysue

millysue Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good morning Carlos,
    Hope all goes well with your boss. He does have a duty of care, so stay strong.

One of our members has had some excellent news this morning. The dbn has reduced her metformin from 4 tablets to 3 per day.
    She says she could not have done it without the help and support of this site.

Just goes to show this site is not all doom and gloom.

Have a good day Carlos, stay positive.
    Let us know how you get on.
    Cheers Sue

• Like Like x 2
  8. Providence 62

Providence 62 LADA · Well-Known Member

Welcome Carlos, I am newly a newly diagnosed T2 and have found reading this forum invaluable. I hope that the books help and you get through this burnout - sounds really dreadful.

Give yourself a bit of time, and great thinking about getting the boss on board.

Providence

• Like Like x 2
  9. millysue

Hi Carlos,
    How are you. How did you get on with your boss?

• Like Like x 2
  10. weeezer

weeezer · Well-Known Member

Wow. Burnout? Yes! 15 yrs in & I'm there. Always been so proud of how being diabetic 'doesn't affect me'. Turns out it's quite exhausting, like you say, to be constantly fighting the tide. You ain't alone that's for sure x

• Like Like x 2
  11. carlos fandango

Ooops! Sorry, I should have replied to this ages ago.

Yes, she's pretty cool about it, as is her boss. They both understand that diabetes can be tricky from time to time, and I've sent them links to some good pages about burn-out.

12. millysue

Glad you have an understanding boss.
    Hope your feeling a little better, don't forget to make time for yourself. Work will always be there.
    Cheers Milly

• Like Like x 2
  13. carlos fandango

That made me chuckle - it's a phrase I've said, like, a million times myself : )

The other thing which, on reflection, really p1sses me off now is everyone telling me when I was diagnosed that 'it's ok, you can lead a perfectly normal life, just like everyone else'. I totally understand why people said that (i was very young when I was diagnosed), but it may have done more harm than good: I suspect that I've been trying to live up to the notion that my life is perfectly normal and just like everyone else's, when in fact it's just not. And therefore feeling like I'm not doing it right, or I'm rubbish at it, or I'm a bad person / bad diabetic because sometimes I find it quite difficult to manage and my life can feel very far from 'perfectly normal' at times.

14. millysue

Carlos,
    I'm the type of person that likes straight talking, if I've got something wrong with me, don't sugar coat it just tell me straight.
    Maybe when you were younger they thought they were doing their best by telling you you can lead a normal life. What is normal, I think we would all have a different view on that.

My view, diabetes can be, S H 1 T , but we have to endure and make the best of it.
    Stay strong.
    Have you had a holiday yet this year?

15. carlos fandango

Blimey, I haven't had a holiday for.... *checks calendar* ....a year and a half!

16. millysue

Right Carlos, it's time you booked a holiday. Book time off work, like now ! If you don't I will nagg you until you do.
    It will do you the world of good.:cool:

17. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

Hello, nice to meet you , you will find lots of support here ....tc ....kat

everything has been said ...enjoy getting to know the forum

• Like Like x 2
  18. carlos fandango

Ha ha!! You're absolutely right, of course. I do have vague plans, to be honest. It looks extremely likely that I'll be made redundant in a few months, and I'll be spending a small amount of my pay-off on visiting a few friends who've moved out of the UK (definitely Kuala Lumpar and, if I can, Australia, Canada, USA and Sweden).

Edited to add: hmmm, maybe I mean a large amount of my pay off!

19. millysue

k

About 2 years ago our son worked in K.L. for about 9 months, He said it was a great place to visit.
    He had to take malaria tablets, he had to start them a couple of weeks before he went, so do look into that.

Sorry, I'm sounding like a mum. Our son is 37.
    Our other son lives in USA.

I hope your not made redundant, but if you are try and think of it as a new beginning.

20. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hya Carlos
    Welcome . i think most of us have felt this way before , please don't feel bad about anything you post,we are all here to help each other ((((hugs))))

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook