diabetes checkup

aard

Is anyone still getting the yearly diabetes checkups? My GP practice seems to have stopped any service that involves face to face contact?

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't had any contact from my GP but my hospital clinic has offered phone or secure video consultation as I'm due my annual clinic this month. I'm not sure if this is different for Type 1s?
I think most GPs can offer econsultations or phone ones if you request it? Especially if you have any specific questions, my impression is that they're more than happy to help at a distance, esp if you don't feel you need to see anyone face to face. Worth asking?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m due my 6 month review but have been told by my surgery that they aren’t doing reviews at the moment but to ring if I was worried about anything.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My daughter has a blood test booked for next Tuesday that was put back from last month, I am hesitating even to ask though I am way over due for a review and I need to find out how my kidneys are fairing so need a full panel test soon.

But as am shielding I can't go to the surgery any way so have no idea what I can do about it.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My surgery will come to the house to do a blood test, lots of people won't be able to go to their surgery as they are shielding. Even without covid, district nurses visit certain people at home routinely to do blood tests, so it shouldn't be a problem. Hope you get it sorted out easily.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is anyone still getting the yearly diabetes checkups? My GP practice seems to have stopped any service that involves face to face contact?

Have a look on your surgery's website. They may well have an explanation of which services are ongoing and which are on hold due to COVID-19.

They should also have a way to place an online query, rather than clogging up the phone lines.
They can then get back to you in a non-urgent way, by the same method.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was due for an annual hospital appointment which they phoned to say was cancelled (understandable) and have heard nothing since, not so much as a text from my GP about any of this. I'm taking that as a good sign though, I assume they would have gone through individual records and focused on those with more pressing needs. (I wish I could use the 'optimistic' icon on my own post). x

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was due for an annual hospital appointment which they phoned to say was cancelled (understandable) and have heard nothing since, not so much as a text from my GP about any of this. I'm taking that as a good sign though, I assume they would have gone through individual records and focused on those with more pressing needs. (I wish I could use the 'optimistic' icon on my own post). x

(Edited to add; Thank you HSSS). x

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Daughter went to surgery for her blood test had to wait in the car park then staff came out checked her temperature before being allowed into the surgery for the blood test she wore a mask and gloves as did the person drawing her blood sample. But for anything other than blood tests no one is able to enter the surgery no reviews actually being carried out there.

Jkoko56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I had a telephone appointment with the consultant and diabetic nurse who is due to follow up in a month. Plus I had a home visit this morning from the DN from the surgery who took a blood test and checked my feet. I think under seventies were asked to go to the surgery for this.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Daughter went to surgery for her blood test had to wait in the car park then staff came out checked her temperature before being allowed into the surgery for the blood test she wore a mask and gloves as did the person drawing her blood sample. But for anything other than blood tests no one is able to enter the surgery no reviews actually being carried out there.

Exactly the same here. A neighbour's housemate struggled to wake her up after she fell asleep in an armchair and phoned 999. The Ambulance people said to see her GP so she phoned the surgery for an appointment who told her to go to A&E as they aren't doing appointments - but they would do a blood test if her temperature tested okay before she entered the surgery. Because of all the fuss she hasn't bothered.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a follow up - I had my annual review (would have been hospital clinic) with the consultant via phone call this week. Still nothing from the GP, but as said above I assume that is a good sign and they're prioritising those in greater need. Not had the annual blood tests but as I am on a libre they were able to see all those readings easily so I don't feel I had any different service compared to when I usually go in and see the consultant. They did send out tips for uploading readings to diasend etc if you're using a usual blood glucose meter not libre.
To be honest I much preferred it! No waiting around, waiting in busy traffic or trying to park etc! And other than not having my blood pressure and weight done there was no difference to the usual clinic. Best bit was that he said I could keep the libre on prescription - woo!

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it depends what the problem is - I managed to get an appointment with the practice nurse a couple of weeks ago.

djfm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain
just got the letter through to go to the royal infirmary July 21st. Hopefully it not packed like usual.
don't see the point of seeing the consultant they're not much help.