Diabetes Consultant

frankyloverubble

Dislikes
bigots,knowalls,
Hi,

just wondered how many T1's have seen a Consultant? I've been T1 for 10 yrs and never have....should I have? My local hospital is Frenchay, South Glos. :) :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Did you not see one in the early days of your diabetes?

I see one all the time for my review although it was switched to the care of my GP practise a few years ago, at the time I had a few issues which my gp couldn't deal with so asked to be referred back to the hospital clinic again, I still get my bloods taken at the surgery and they are forwarded to the clinic in time for my review.

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
I saw a consultant three times last year to figure out what type of Diabetes I had. I now just see the nurse at the local Diabetes clinic when I need help and I do have a consultant appointment in Sept.

jopar

It varies..

If you have good control and no problems then T1 are normally overseen by their GP/Surgery DSN..

I seen my constant last month, and won't see him for at least 12 months, but I only see him once a year because I have to due to being on a pump.. But I do have an open appointment if I have any problems I can phone and they will fit me in ASAP.

My husband hasn't seen a consultant in more than 25 years, he told his consultant to stick it, he didn't see eye to eye with him long story!

So it really depends on what whether you've got problems with control that your GP/DSN are solving if you have you should be referred to your hospital clinic to see the consultant..

Don't forget you've got the BRI as well reasonably local... But both if I remember rightly a pretty good on getting patients that need insulin pumps onto them..

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I saw a consultant from the time I was diagnosed (1975) up to the point when I had had my 2 daughters and got divorced (1990)It became difficult for me to make it to the hospital which was approx 20 miles away from my home at that time. Since then I have been under the care of my GP although I do now see a consultant for my kidney disease. I am now keen on starting metformin to help me with my weight and liver dumping, I am not sure if the nurse at my surgery can prescribe this for me so I may ask to be referred back to the hospital when I next see nurse

Lorna

LaughingHyena

I'm also in South Glos but at Southmead. At the moment I'm seeing the consultant every 6 months, I'm told it will go to once a year when things are a bit more stable (only diagnosed a couple of years ago) I also see the dietitian in between times if I want/need to.

The nurse at the GPs book me in for an annual check up, which so far I've managed to time jsut before the trip to hospital. Seems pointless to do the same blood tests a couple of weeks apart.

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So far I've seen a consultant in march then again 3 weeks ago seeing someone again in 3 months im under ruh in bath.

jopar

laughinghyna

Why are you having 2 lots of bloods done, all you need is the set done for the hospital and they send the results back to your GP, with the briefing of your consultant appointment!

I would have a word with your surgery about this and the timing of your review...

I actually now see my consultant 1 a year, but my surgery DSN does interim reviews, and these bloods get past onto my hospital team!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
jopar said:
laughinghyna

Why are you having 2 lots of bloods done, all you need is the set done for the hospital and they send the results back to your GP, with the briefing of your consultant appointment!

I would have a word with your surgery about this and the timing of your review...
jopar et al, Forgive me for butting in, being a T2 but am under a consultant.
Some NHS trusts are incapable of sharing data. My GP (East Lancs PCT) and My consultant (Pennine Acute) cannot access each others systems and unless they specifically mention a result in a letter they are blissfully ignorant of the other's data :cry:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
FergusCrawford said:
jopar et al, Forgive me for butting in, being a T2 but am under a consultant.
Some NHS trusts are incapable of sharing data. My GP (East Lancs PCT) and My consultant (Pennine Acute) cannot access each others systems and unless they specifically mention a result in a letter they are blissfully ignorant of the other's data :cry:

It could be the case with some PCT but my own gp surgery and hospital share patient information, for example I get my bloods taken at gp surgery a week prior to my hospital review and within a week or two of this my report can be back at my gp surgery, same as when I attend my Ophthalmology appointments my gp always seems to know the results if I ask him.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Noblehead,
It IS the case!
I was merely reporting the sad fact that some areas do not meet the theoretical best practice. just because they SHOULD do something, it doesn't mean they DO :evil:

thetallerpaul

Noblehead/Fergus,

I'm in Cambridgeshire and Addenbrookes don't share data with the GP surgery I'm at and vice versa. I watched the GP trying to fill out the form to get my blood results shared and it still didn't work. Now I just get all my bloods done in the hospital. I'll switch to GP practice nurse as/when my care is signed over to them as still early days for me.

TTP

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
FergusCrawford said:
Noblehead,
It IS the case!
I was merely reporting the sad fact that some areas do not meet the theoretical best practice. just because they SHOULD do something, it doesn't mean they DO :evil:

I appreciate some don't, however what you could insist on when you next have a hospital appointment is that they send copies of the consultation to your gp for their records.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
When I was under Milton Keynes nothing was shared between the hospital and the surgery but in Northamptonshire it's all linked via a computer so it really does seem to be a toss of a coin depending on where you are.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Paul1976 said:
When I was under Milton Keynes nothing was shared between the hospital and the surgery but in Northamptonshire it's all linked via a computer so it really does seem to be a toss of a coin depending on where you are.

It does appear that way Paul.

jopar

If your GP refers you to the consultant for any medical treatment, every appointment you attend a briefing of your appointment which contains any tests carried, any changes to your medication or treatment regime is all included in this letter!

If you are under a consultant is over-seeing your treatment then your GP can't change aspects such as medication or dose without first seeking the advice of the GP, unless an emergency situation is involved!

You can ask your consultant to be copied in on any communications that he/she sends to your GP!

The only various within communications is based on what computer set up they've got, some area's the hospital and surgery records are linked, so both hospital and GP can view both records, other such as my area the we have completely two different computer systems... My GP can access my hospital records, and my consultant can't access my GP records.. So letters are sent to and from, filling each other in on my results etc!

I have my bloods done around a fortnight before I attend the hospital clinic, and if I don't want to what for my consultant to tell me the results I can phone my GP for them, then fortnight to 3 weeks later I receive the letter from my consultant detailing all my test results, and briefing on my appointment out come..

LaughingHyena

Re: Diabetes Consultant

Unread postby jopar » May 24th, 2012, 11:53 pm
laughinghyna

I think it was just down to timing, both wanted up to date results and the appoinments were a few weeks apart. I did chat to the nurse and delay my appoinment with the GP by 3 weeks so I only had to do it once. Hopefully that means they will come up around the same time again next time.

Trying to sort out what has happened with my eye screening, I had 4 appinments in 3 months! I know it's important to get your eyes screened but :crazy: I went to the first 2 but having checked they showed no issues I canncelled the rest.