Type 2 Diabetes control when poorly

Hartnell6

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm currently have this virus sore throat, ache all over etc can't get my blood sugars below 13mmol should I be concerned.

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Me too with the illness but my bloods are stable around 10 way higher than normal

D

Deleted Account

Our BG levels are affected by many things - food is the obvious one but there is also the time of day, year, month, stress, exercise, alcohol, illness, drugs, ...

When we are ill, our body releases extra sugar to help us fight the bugs. Unfortunately, when we have diabetes, we have less ability to convert this extra sugar to health-giving goodness. As a result, our BG levels rise when we are ill and we feel worse.

As an example, there have been times when I am poorly when my insulin needs are 40% higher than usual to keep my BG under control.

Look after yourself, monitor your BG and get well soon.

Hartnell6

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you I'm now ringing doctors as my blood sugars are now 20 never felt so poorly

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Are you okay? What did the doctor suggest??

I hope you're feeling better. x

Hartnell6

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My meter was flashing possible ketones I've got to take a sample in tomorrow. Also they said I need to bring my blood sugars down and putting me on gliclazide but I'm pretty sure that gave me an awful pain in my stomach. Still waiting to see hospital diabetes team my appointment is in Dec though

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My meter was flashing possible ketones I've got to take a sample in tomorrow. Also they said I need to bring my blood sugars down and putting me on gliclazide but I'm pretty sure that gave me an awful pain in my stomach. Still waiting to see hospital diabetes team my appointment is in Dec though
Are you sure it was gliclazide that gave you stomach aches and not metformin? If it was metformin you might be pleasantly surprised by gliclazide. Whatever you'll get, I hope you'll feel better soon!