Diabetes eyes screening

SuperRob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently had my annual eye screening last week and the results said I have had damage done to my eyes. I'm only 16 in September and I've had diabetes for 12 years. Is there anything I can do to help??

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had background retinopathy for about 5 years, had about half a dozen spots in total for both eyes. If you've only got a few spots, then its nothing to worry about. My control has recently improved, my hba1c is better (down from high 7s/low 8s to 7 exactly) and nearly all of the spots have gone, I've got 3 in total now.

The moral of the story is, improve your control and it will get better.

SuperRob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks it's just I'm a by worried because I'm Only 15 and it's never happened before

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
SuperRob said:
Thanks it's just I'm a by worried because I'm Only 15 and it's never happened before

Hi Rob. I got background retinopathy after 13 years of diabetes, at the age of 28. Now I did not look after myself due to diabulimia but it took a further five years of bad control and one pregnancy (which can make it come on) to get to the proliferative stage for me. Even at that stage they can usually treat it with laser although it can come back again.

I think most T1s get background at some stage, the trick is to keep your control and then it prob won't go any further. If you have high hba1c they recommend bringing this down slowly rather than very rapidly as this can increase the damage.

I know it is worrying having eye problems but no reason to be too concerned if you keep your control, it will probably not reach the proliferative (dangerous) stage.