Diabetes in House

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
just watching an episode of the exceptionally medically accurate House MD, in which he gives himself an insulin shot and hypos in one minute, was thinking how nice it would be if insulin worked immediately like it did in this episode!!

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's why I prefer "Sci fi". You know what yer getting with that genre....
Why did House jack up on insulin..?

D

Deleted member 308541

Why did House jack up on insulin..?
I always thought that Doctor was a junkie, I have not watched many episodes so do not know if he is or not. Come to think of it I did know he was diabetic either

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah he was having an episode of psychosis and wanted to have 'insulin shock' (assuming that's a hypo) to reset his brain / knock it out for a bit...
"Insulin shock therapy"?? Was he supervised..?
I believe the process involves going to "coma city" & back...
Or pretty **** close to the subberbs.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
"Insulin shock therapy"?? Was he supervised..?
I believe the process involves going to "coma city" & back...
Or pretty **** close to the subberbs.

He wanted to stop seeing Amber (Wilsons ex) - imagine if a severe hypo was just that, a mental reset! Oh Hollywood the nation built on dreams

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He wanted to stop seeing Amber (Wilsons ex) - imagine if a severe hypo was just that, a mental reset! Oh Hollywood the nation built on dreams

i thought it was a nation built on cocaine...? But somehow insulin seems so "un-addictive" to anyone who don't need it to stay alive.. T1 the new "foreign legion", now we do it to forget..!

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i thought it was a nation built on cocaine...? But somehow insulin seems so "un-addictive" to anyone who don't need it to stay alive.. T1 the new "foreign legion", now we do it to forget..!
Well if you look at what constitutes an addiction (go out of your way to get it etc ) I mean you could say we have that for insulin !

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well if you look at what constitutes an addiction (go out of your way to get it etc ) I mean you could say we have that for insulin !
A fair point. However. If diabetes was cured outright?
It would be a lot easier to hand in our non required "stash" of insulin. As opposed to other "substances" I can think of... ;)