Diabetes, life and all that - personal diary

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Guys

Apologies for not posting earlier.

I now realize that the last time I posted was when I spent the night in the ER, fearing the worst for my dad.

My dad was eventually admitted into the respiratory disease word suffering with pneumonia. He spent about ten days there before being well enough to be released back to the nursing home. So all is well at the moment.

I have been suffering with a bad dose of the flue myself and trying to manage that as well as a very busy period at work. Fortunately I am better now just the last remnants of a cough left. I was even able to go on one of my walks today for the first time in a couple of weeks.

Thank you all for your concern and wishes. They are very much appreciated.

Once again, I apologize for not coming back to update you earlier. It was wrong of me to leave matters hanging as they were.

P

Reactions: 23 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Pavlos, glad to hear your father is doing better. Sorry to hear you have been unwell also, but it's good to know that everything is okay.
Take care

Reactions: 5 people

Moniker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think we are all just glad to see you back. Glad your dad recovered and that you are okay though busy and stressed. Take care.

Reactions: 7 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes life has a nasty way of getting in the way. Lovely to hear from you and glad that your father is improved and that you are on the mend too.x

Reactions: 6 people

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Guys

Apologies for not posting earlier.

I now realize that the last time I posted was when I spent the night in the ER, fearing the worst for my dad.

My dad was eventually admitted into the respiratory disease word suffering with pneumonia. He spent about ten days there before being well enough to be released back to the nursing home. So all is well at the moment.

I have been suffering with a bad dose of the flue myself and trying to manage that as well as a very busy period at work. Fortunately I am better now just the last remnants of a cough left. I was even able to go on one of my walks today for the first time in a couple of weeks.

Thank you all for your concern and wishes. They are very much appreciated.

Once again, I apologize for not coming back to update you earlier. It was wrong of me to leave matters hanging as they were.

P
Good to see you back Pavlosn,

Glad you are on the mend and that your dad is ok. Sorry for the rotten time that you seem to have had lately. Take good care of yourself!

Reactions: 5 people

Janiept

Expert
Good to see you back Pavlosn,

Glad you are on the mend and that your dad is ok. Sorry for the rotten time that you seem to have had lately. Take good care of yourself!
Thanks for the update @pavlosn and it's good to hear that your Dad is recovered. Sorry to hear that you have been unwell too though, but it's that time of year isn't it. :rolleyes:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Welcome back Pavlos, good to hear about your Dad.

Reactions: 2 people

killerkaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, loving your thread it has reminded me that I must increase my exercise as at the moment the only form of exercise I get is running around an operating theatre all day. ( mind you that can clock some miles up!) As you say it's finding something you enjoy doing and someone to do it with. Hubby is a committed couch potato. The gym bores the pants off me. I do enjoy walking, maybe I will join a local rambling club.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome back, Pavlos. I'm glad all is ok. Take care, don't overdo things.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finally been able to get out get out for a morning walk again today.

Five and a half kilometers through glorious morning sunshine.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1423119569.750115.jpg

We seem to be running ahead of the season, the temperature feels unusually warm and flowers seem to be in bloom earlier this year.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1423119655.979304.jpg

I really must exploit this to get back into the habit of regular walking.

Have a great day everyone!

Pavlos

Reactions: 15 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Looks great Pavlos, I bet it felt good too :)

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another 5,5km walk today. Two days in a row now. Not quite a trend yet but getting there.

Took a couple of minutes at the end of my walk to look round the garden and admire these beautiful calla lilies.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1423203099.858511.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1423203114.825007.jpg

Normally they bloom around Easter time but they seem to be early this year.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1423203211.116657.jpg

Catching the pearl of dew glistening in the morning sunshine served to remind me that beauty and pleasure can be found in the smallest and most trivial of things.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1423203357.048499.jpg

To be honest this came as a very welcome relief to thoughts that have been straying to some pretty dark places this morning.

I am not having the happiest of times the moment for reasons that I can not quite pinpoint.

I find myself asking questions about my life that I am not sure I want to know the answers to.

I am trying to struggle my way through it hoping that, if I do,things will work out or I will start looking at things in a brighter light again.

Just one of those phases I guess.

Pavlos

Reactions: 9 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi Pavlos,

You have a path .... all of us do. There's forks in the road, distractions and times when it's really hard to divorce the condition from the day to day life we face.

I choose to do the latter, hoping the focus on what we did before diagnosis overrules what we do now. Does it work? Not always.

Take joy in what you do and your achievements... when all is said and done, that is what defines you irrespective of anything else.

Mike :)

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Beautiful lilies. I think we all have those sort of times, more so when we have a serious chronic condition that makes us very focused on ourselves and our lives. Hopefully it will pass soon for you xx

Reactions: 4 people

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Pavlos, delighted to hear that your father is recovering, not so much for your dark feelings.

We all have our personal demons, there to haunt us when we least expect them.

But I am sure that with the love of your family and indeed your extended family on here you will soon be in the light again.

You brighten up so many on here with your pictures and insights.

Keep well.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your words of support.

Of course we all are have our demons .

In many ways it is through fighting these demons, through visiting our dark places, that we grow and gain insight into our human nature.

There is a price to pay for understanding and empathy and for me it seems to be periods of introspection and melancholia.

The irony is that I am very much aware that I will be alright in the end. That if I keep smiling and going through the motions of my everyday life, the dark feelings will all go away and I will be ok.

In fact no one will have caught on that anything was ever wrong with me. Least of all my family. I make sure that they are shielded from that side of me.

Which, in a very unfair way, makes me feel even more "invisible" and insignificant. Part of me is even annoyed with them for not seeing through my deception.

To be honest it is not even about diabetes; or at least not mainly about diabetes.

It's about all of it.

My life.

My role on this earth.

What difference I do or do not make to anyone.

What I have or have not achieved.

I will be fifty this April and that is a large part of it.

I also have my dad, or what has been left of my dad after the strokes have taken their toll, to serve as a foretelling of a possible future to come.

I feel silly even writing these things down. It all sounds such stereotypical mid life crisis angst.

Part of me is laughing about it. But part of me knows that stereotypical or not these issues are real to me at the moment, and since I do not allow them to surface in my real life I am at least acknowledging them in this virtual one.

I do not expect any responses to this from anyone.

These are questions we each have to answer for ourselves.

I hope I do not give the impression that I am wallowing in self pity, because that is not really the case.

I feel like I am at a point where I have some issues to work through with myself but I feel capable of doing so.

I have always said that I consider myself to have been blessed in my life, for a great many reasons. Whether I have made the best of my blessings is another question.

The road not taken will always be a source of fascination.

P.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that we all feel like that at our age which doesn't make it any less important or painful.. ( I'll be 49 this time) What have we achieved, what will our future be like, more so with an illness that we are told is progressive with the risk of serious complications? I find I spend a lot of the time feeling nostalgic for the past, for my youth and the early years of my life. If I could go back, I'm sure I'd find they weren't anywhere as great as my tinted spectacles are making it. And I think it's only natural to try and hide it from those we love but feel simultaneously resentful that they can't see our suffering or second guess our anguish. I don't have any answers other than that we are always here to listen.

Reactions: 7 people