diabetes mood swings?

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi,
I'm 19 I haven't got diabetes myself but my partner who I have been with for 3 years has type 1 diabetes, he is 25 and he was diagnosed at 19. he injects with insulin but he has really bad mood swings and sometimes it's even made me cry. I know he don't mean to do it and I know that diabetes can affect your emotions and mood swings but he is struggling to find away to control them and I sometimes don't know how to take the situation.
I wondered if anyone could help me on ways that I can help him and ways he can help himself.
I know they say that diet can help but he is a very fussy eater and only likes certain foods.
please if anyone knows anything or anyway to help!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @shaleighgrainger and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your experiences.

Mood swings are quite common in diabetes and are usually directly correlated with blood glucose levels. When someone is high or low, they can be, and often are, a different person. The tricky bit is learning to manage these levels such that they don't change too much or too violently.

Has your partner had any education as to how to manage his diabetes himself and is he aware of what he is doing and how it affects you?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @shaleighgrainger & welcome.

Ask yer bloke to sign up here find out.. Part of winning the battle is helping youself!

Good luck.
This is sound advice. It is important that he feels he can control it himself, and equally important that he does not feel controlled by anyone. Lead him gently at first, ,then be prepared to stand back and let him explore. The answers he needs are either here or he can ask and people here will offer advice from their own experiences.

Mr_H

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am the same with mood swings my partner hates it I have thoughts of wanting to punch people or if i dont take it out on someone I overdose on my Novorapid. My levels go all over the place :(

Dido

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@shaleighgrainger hi there, I'm sorry to hear you are having a rough time, and you sound like a very caring and understanding person to be supporting your partner by looking on here for advice. I'm a type one forty one years old who has fluctuating levels , which is not helped by being a fussy eater and a long term depression sufferer. My moods are all over the place most of the time, especially if my BG is high. It can make you quite anxious/angry for no apparent reason, followed by frustration at yourself for not taking better care of yourself. I haven't attended myself, but I hear the DAFNE course can really help diabetics take control and gain a greater understanding of how things work. I'm pretty sure the good folks on here could point you in the right direction. Really hope you get the support you need and that your partner takes up whatever support is available. **hugs**