diabetes neuropathy

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone experienced DN, - I have pain or discomfort when walking/running - even when im sleeping in bed my legs feel noticeable i sometimes struggle to sleep with this annoyance. - all i get told is bring down your sugars - but mine constantly stay elevated - 12mmol-15mool average but, can come down to 8-10mmol when i am using insulin or fasting but other than that i can keep the levels around 10-13mmol constantly, my goal is to get it better i am using a CGM so i know what brings my levels up and what doesn't i maybe need to keep exercising more but my legs are causing me to not be able to do much cardio - rather i just do weights, - my weight is 64kg 168cm - i don't want to lose more weight even though many doctors say weight loss is going to help with the insulin to work better. my recent hba1c was 99 which wasn't very pleasing to see since the 1 before that was 103 i am trying to keep my levels controlled but i am losing this game the CGM is showing me i am going down but 5 hours i can go from 15 to 9.9 and then it will show no line showing up or down just at 9.9 then it will show me a arrow going up again which i don't understand but it will stop at 13 and then come back down, lowest reading i am getting is 8.4-9.9 i understand the data is useful and i am definitely sure what to avoid and what to eat really need to improve the DN and my glucose control anyway i am rambling now so i will leave it and if anyone has any tricks or ideas how to cope with the DN that would be nice.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am taking 30 fiasp and 30 tougeo
It could well be worth learning more on insulin dosing.
It all starts with getting your basal (Toujeo) right, looking up 'basal testing' can get you started on that with the help of your diabetes nurse.

Are you taking the same amount of bolus (Fiasp) for your meals no matter what the meal consists of?
If I were you, I'd see if your diabetes nurse would be willing to help you doing a bit of carb counting to adjust your doses depending on what you eat.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It could well be worth learning more on insulin dosing.
It all starts with getting your basal (Toujeo) right, looking up 'basal testing' can get you started on that with the help of your diabetes nurse.

Are you taking the same amount of bolus (Fiasp) for your meals no matter what the meal consists of?
If I were you, I'd see if your diabetes nurse would be willing to help you doing a bit of carb counting to adjustY your doses depending on what you eat.
Hi, yes they did tell me find the right dose my titrating every 4 days and i did initially start on 14 units and went up.. the diabetes nurses at the diabetes clinic want me to go even further up with the Fiasp, not so much the Toujeo. - the DN nurse at my GP practice, just wants me to see a Dietitian - My glucose levels are coming down after 5 hours from injection and meal as GCM has shown me i don't know if it can be quicker - that maybe depends on the meal i am guessing i have stopped many foods on the list a previous dietitian told me had a high G.I rating and now i am mainly eating slight carbs with my chosen meat and plenty of eggs in the morning. i only eat twice a day so i inject my toujeo in the morning and then the fisap with both my meals it isn't to hard since both my meals are so far apart first in the morning and then second around 6pm. anyway rambling to much now

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone experienced DN, - I have pain or discomfort when walking/running - even when im sleeping in bed my legs feel noticeable i sometimes struggle to sleep with this annoyance.
Hi. I started to develop neuropathy in my feet 10 years ago when I felt constant pressure and tingling under my toes. These days it feel as if I'm wearing long socks and flip-flops. My feet feel (but aren't) constantly warm, and hot when wearing shoes. I asked my GP about it and she referred me to a neurophysiologist, and he produced a report which I can't understand but suggests there is nerve damage. My GP didn't seem to know what it meant either. My feet still pass the sensitivity test at my annual assessment. My balance isn't affected by it.
I don't expect it to go away but others on the forum will testify that with the right regime these and other symptoms may vanish over time. Whatever you decide to do, you're in the right place for support and advice based on personal experience rather than medical theory.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I started to develop neuropathy in my feet 10 years ago when I felt constant pressure and tingling under my toes. These days it feel as if I'm wearing long socks and flip-flops. My feet feel (but aren't) constantly warm, and hot when wearing shoes. I asked my GP about it and she referred me to a neurophysiologist, and he produced a report which I can't understand but suggests there is nerve damage. My GP didn't seem to know what it meant either. My feet still pass the sensitivity test at my annual assessment. My balance isn't affected by it.
I don't expect it to go away but others on the forum will testify that with the right regime these and other symptoms may vanish over time. Whatever you decide to do, you're in the right place for support and advice based on personal experience rather than medical theory.
i have started to feel it more in the past few years. - but it is more noticeable when im running or when im in bed or if im at work constantly walking. i appreciate your message :)