diabetes nurse clueless

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Can’t say anything about the insulin other than wonder if you could get a different nurse. However
..........Excuuuuse me, but did you say 12, as in twelve, as in 10+2 (which is 216 over here) as being acceptable??!!!! Definitely too high for Health.

(12 my foot!! Grumble. Grumble. When they cut it off!!! What official ding-dong came up with this?!)

Unfortunately, Diabetics must learn to manage themselves with guidance and support and a lot of self investigation and experimentation. Yes, it feels like we are often the forgotten child.

I have found Jenny Ruhl to have a lot of sensible info backed by actual data, as opposed to budgetary concerns. She has a free web site. http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/ Though I find her book, Blood Sugar 101, easier to navigate. She does not expect perfection, (hello Dr Richard Bernstein, give me steady 83 or 4.6 like a non diabetic, which is my goal) but to summarize info from various studies sited,

if you want to keep your toes, keep your eyesight, keep a healthy heart, etc.
you should strive for 140 (7.76) after meals or lower.
If you want to keep your kidneys, you should strive for steady sugars
since huge swings damage renal/kidney cells.

Do not settle for 12

P.S. don’t hate the nurse. It takes a lot of courage, not to mention an independent income, to give information that is not backed by the physician in charge and the supervising agency. It can be called malpractice and practicing Medicine without a license.

Reactions: dbr10

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
TBH I'm not surprised the nurse told you to eat more carbs, especially there and then; assuming those 2 injections you do a day are of a mixed insulin. People on that regime are normally told to eat a certain amount of carbs per meal and in between snacks, all carefully worked out ;). If you're reducing your carb intake then you'd probably need to reduce your injected insulin - by how much you'd have to speak to your HCP about that.

Keep testing your BG and have some quick acting carbs at hand just in case.

Reactions: dbr10

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
Thanks for your replies folks. I booked an appointment with the dn a couple of weeks ago and couldn't get an appointment til early February. I am on humalin 3 and metformin x 4 a day. I've been testing several times a day but this norovirus has made things a bit more complicated. I've reduced my insulin to40 units twice a day from 60 units twice a day. This forum is a godsend as I wouldn't know where to start otherwise.