Diabetes run in families

nesquick

Hello Everyone,

I hope that you all are keeping well.Unfortunately I have a bad chest infection & I'm on antibiotics plus a new inhaler for my mild asthma :sick:
It's nice to hear from some other members about their experiences with The Big D,It shows that even though we have the same Disease/Illness (t1 or t2) we don't necessarily share the same symptoms,each & everyone of us have a different genes/DNA that shows us how different we are,e.g at times I feel as if my sugar levels are going low & when I test my blood sugar level it's high,whereas another member will have the opposite affect like feeling weak,sweaty ect.I think Robinredbreast is bold & very brave to leave his/her body to science,not many people would even consider doing this in fear of their loved ones contesting to this procedure of being probed around & taken out weighed ect (I'll spare the gory details as I've seen a live autopsy being done on tv,it was :?: very informative) Without such people leaving their bodies to science how will the doctors know how to treat future patients.We all know that with Diabetes comes with complications,each person is different & will have different types of problems like not all will have kidney disease or retinopathy ect.My point is that unless more people donate their bodies how will the future doctors be able to eliminate Diabetes by doing a simple test & by taking out the DNA gene that causes Diabetes & saving the government millions of pounds that it takes to deal with Diabetic complications.But what Amal says makes sense to me to as an asian living in Modern Britain where I've been taught to respect my heritage & beliefs,yes by all means pray to GOD he can only guide you through prayer for a cure,which in my view I don't think it's going to happen in our life time,but then again who knows what GOD is thinking? :?: This is the age old topic of Religion & Science something that should be left out of the Diabetic Forum.I hereby apologise to anyone if I have offended them in any certain way,it was not in my intentions to do so. :angel:
Anyway it's really late & I need to sleep :yawn: as I didn't get much last night.
Take care of yourselves & I hope to hear from you all again especially young Amal (no I'm not a cradle snatcher!!!) I just would like to hear more of his views on how an illness/disease that GOD has created how will he cure it,when GOD has created man/woman with enough brains but yet they are still trying to find the cure of the major illnesses/diseases of the world.
Anyway before I take my leave,I would like to share this saying with you all.

When a lot of remedies are suggested for a disease,that means it can't be cured

ANTON CHEKHOV (1860-1904)
Russian Dramatist
The Cherry Orchard,II

Bye for now :wave:

Breasto

A

Anonymous

@nesquick - I think you'll find that Anal just used the common saying of "God willing"... there's no mention about religion in there. I agree science and religion shouldn't be brought into the discussion. Everyone has their own values and beliefs though and that would play a very important part in their control of diabetes. :D

hi all, i have just been told about a study that is looking into the genetic link between family members, trialnet uk. google it. it is looking at non diabetic family members to assess the risk that they will develop it. you have to have a family member with type 1 or type 2, i am going to get my other children tested as i am worried due to me being type 1, my brother being type 2 (insulin controlled) and now my daughteer being type 1. will let people know how it works. thanx

Scardoc

I was diagnosed T1 at 30yrs old and am, as far as I know, the first in the family.

I believe science will eventually unlock the diabetic genetic code but that there won't be a single "diabetes" gene for T1 or T2. It's more likely to be a case of a series of genes which are present in almost everyone but need a trigger to switch them on. The trigger could be anything from a virus to lifestyle or even something we haven't considered yet.

SouthernGeneral6512

I don't think there is anyone in my family with diabetes (certainly not my parents while they were alive). I suppose a big difference is they were never really overweight (I have been) and they drunk tea while I tended to take the extra sugary stuff :sick:.

I had a heart attack a few weeks ago at 46 and my father had his first one at 45 so perhaps there is something to the genetic argument

gwyn

hi My mother became diabetic in 1957 age 33. There were no such thing as tablets. I was diagnosed in 1960 aged 8 my sister is two years younger and is now 57 and does not suffer with any type diabeties thank God. The only person at the time when mum was diagnosed was a cousin on her fathers side. Other than that second cousins have developed it and third cousins but not related to my immediate blood line on my mum or fathers side. It is only when a family member married so what I am trying to say it was on the in laws side. I have been sitting here typing away to you and thought I have had a good life even back then, playing netball in the athletics team etc nothing ever stopped me doing what I wanted except for the school who would not let me go on day trips. So much has changed. Including how doctors view things maybe with the one excption they all think you are the same not an individual with individual diabetic needs and that has gone on since I was diagnosed. and if there is one bit of advice I can give anyone it is Yes you will always have ups and downs with your diabeties, not always your fault its just how your body works, as long as you try your best. THere are not always the answers BUUUUUUt if you are not happy with doctors nurses giving you conflicting info SHOUT from the top of your voice otherwise nothing will get done and you may find it to late to rectifly problems

TAKE care all

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My mother had type 2 on insulin I don't know how long for though, I would say 10 years, she had problems with her eyes, legs, kidneys and was on dialysis 3 times a week. My dad had type 2 for about 8 years I think, but tried to control it by diet, no sure if he went to any pills. My mum passed away from renal failure after getting a cut/gash on her leg that stayed infected. My dad passed away from testicular cancer so. Cannot really find out anymore. My mums mum (grandma) she does not have it. She is still fighting fit mentally anyway at 89 years old. My brother currently has type 2, high cholesterol and high blood pressure, he is on many pills :( I am sad that I have type 2 and cannot speak o my mum about it bu I have a very great wife and in laws which are mum and dad to me.

I have type 2 since may 10th this year, only taking 1 Metformin a day, though DN said take 2, but I am not, and with low carbing etc I have it under control so far staying in 5.5- 6.8 ranges. I have no intention of having more pills, insulin can do one. My wish is to control through diet as much and as long as possible.