Diabetes to Pre-diabetes

GeoffSalt

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My Fasting Blood Sugar test of February 2014 was 7.5 mmol/l; a diabetic reading. After losing nearly two stone and upping my exercise, I've now got this down to 6.4. I'm delighted.

Need to keep at it though to get it below 6.1 or better. At 53 I think I need to look after myself. The thought of being diabetic scared me into action; now I'm looking to make it a way of life.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done and welcome to the forum. How have you achieved this?

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Pre-diabetes means your blood sugar levels are higher than normal, yet not high enough to be categorized as type 2 diabetes. It is also an early warning that preventive measures like weight loss and regular exercise need to be implemented or else diabetes and its potential complications (heart, circulatory, kidney and eye problems, a nerve disorder known as neuropathy, and others) may occur.

Abnormal build-up of glucose

Pre-diabetes and type 2 are similar in that both are known for an abnormal build-up of glucose in the bloodstream. However, different degrees of build-up are present for type 2. The following blood tests, alone or in combination, can be used for diagnosis:

A fasting plasma glucose (FPG) or fasting blood sugar test. This test measures glucose levels after an overnight fast of eight hours.
A result of 70–100 mg/dl is considered normal.
Levels above 100 and up to 125 mg/dl indicate impaired fasting glucose, or pre-diabetes.
If levels are 126 mg/dl and above on two separate testing dates, the diagnosis would be diabetes.
An oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT). This test goes one step beyond an overnight or eight hour fast. In addition to checking fasting plasma glucose, a second blood test is tested two hours after drinking a specially formulated sugar solution.
If the two-hour result is less than 140 mg/dl it is considered normal.
For levels that range from 140 to 199 mg/dl, impaired glucose tolerance and pre-diabetes are indicated.
Any value of 200 mg/dl or above suggests the diagnosis of diabetes.
Random blood sugar (RBS). For this test, a blood sample is taken at random and not related to the timing of the last meal or drink.
A result of 200 mg/dl or greater may suggest diabetes.
Type 2 diabetes is also known for its "insulin resistance." This impacts the body's ability to properly utilize the hormone insulin, making it difficult to move the circulating glucose out of the bloodstream and into the cells for our energy needs. As a result, glucose levels rise to abnormally high levels. And, if left unchecked and untreated, there is a high likelihood for this disease to eventually cause symptoms like frequent urination, blurred vision, unexplained fatigue, slow healing wounds, or increased thirst and hunger, and thus would be harmful to your health.

Reactions: 2 people