diabetes two and obesity rates did not change in the same way over the decades

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
For me, my journey with diabetes has very much been about what caused it and has been the trigger for much anxiety.

In my quest to overcome any guilt I have already inflicted on myself, I came to the conclusion that I believe we are genetically predisposed. I also believe it is where you carry fat in your body i.e around your organs, so you could be not very overweight, but is where your fat is deposited that turns you diabetic. I believe that hormones play a big role too. The thing is, lots of things could be to blame, there is no single cause. It may also be down to people not being diagnosed, seeing as you can have it and not know it. I would never have known had I not gone through an extremely stressful year and ongoing virus prior to diagnosis, which highlighted my condition. Had this not happened, I would not have found out for a long time I suspect. It's just one of those things, nobody really knows why people get cancer or all manner of other diseases.

WilliamEE

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I suppose I'm an interesting case in that I am not diabetic, or pre diabetic. All my readings for all my tests are within the normal range.

However, these levels are creeping up. I've been something of a sloth for the last 10 years or so. Whilst I walk to work and work home some days (1/2 hour each way) that is clearly not enough. Also my diet was full of pasta, bread with some potato & rice.

Whilst not a big eater of sweet food every morning on arriving to work I would grab a coke zero & packet of crisps from the vending machine.

All these bad habits have stopped since finding and reading this site. I am avoiding bad carbs and processed food and will only drink water & red wine.

I have lost 11kg since July down from 84kg and my walk to and from work are much brisker now. Also as I go to visit my mother once a week I walk over rather then having my partner drive me.

I've been lucky with my weight in that it was stable for over 10 years and I only want to loose another 10-12kg which should take 3 to 4 months at the rate I am going.

I was going to gym the local gym but due to a hip problem (caused by either a large cyst and/or a tear in my labrum) I am in too much pain and don't want to start anything until I see the surgeon next week. He will probably want to repair the tear and remove the cyst as one or both of them is causing this. Thankfully I can walk, run and go up and down stairs - sitting down is when I experience pain with the hip problem. Hope to have it all sorted out by Christmas.

My father was T2 diabetic diagnosed late in life (about age 67 or 68). He was always underweight.

Of course I may never go down that path even if I don't change anything, though to be honest I think it is more likely I will then I won't so I decided to do something about it now. No point waiting until I have 'crossed over'. Saving those Beta Cells for as long as possible with a low carb diet, exercise and weight training should help for the foreseeable future anyway.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I truly do believe my T2 diabites was caused by the NHS .. well I .. Followed the advice on eating when I had my heart bypass op many years ago .. Low fat high carbs .. As I became slower .. I was told to rest more .. I have heart failure.. I was also given stains then ... Went back to Drs unhappy with the side effects in my arms and legs immobilising me even more. I was just told .. Keep taking the tablets and slow down .. I have then found out that statins can cause diabites! When I questioned this with the HFN I was BS tested each time I had my heart reviews... After 4 years they finally said I was T2 .. Then the eat well plate was shown again .. With other misinformation on controlling DB .. So upping my carbs and lowering my fats even more on my following SUgar blood test I was through the roof ... Again asking for help I was told I was lying about what I ate .. So after finding the advice here I have turned my life around ..
In my personal view .. It's the NHS along with government healthy eating advice causing the rise of obesity and any diet /weight related DB's.

Reactions: 2 people

smudges dad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
here is an interesting graph

http://www.bryanmarcel.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/sugar32.gif

sugar32.gif

please notice that diabetes two is not rising at the exact rate of obesity

other factors are involved in making us ill
According to the chart, there was no obesity before 1975
Seems to be idiots producing charts without thinking what they show

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Capture.JPG

That graph is completely manipulated. It misses trend data from the 80s which I looked up and is anything from 7% upwards. Plus the pink points don’t actually plot a straight line but a curve, they’ve just ploughed through the middle. Also, it’s 10 years out of date so it would be interesting to see how it looks now.

I completely agree it absolutely should not be about blame. However, it also should not be about denial, If being overweight does increase the chances of mutated genes developing into Type 2 then there absolutely needs to be a focus on it, because if it can stop some people developing it wouldn’t that be best?

Clearly @aimee11‘s case is very different and difficult, and clearly young and fit people are also diagnosed with Type 2. There shouldn’t be a blame culture, and if in some cases even it’s been caused by lifestyle people shouldn’t feel guilty – no one is perfect!

BUT there is clear evidence that SOME cases of Type 2 are caused by lifestyle (a mix of lifestyle and bad luck with genes), so needs to be focused on but in a much less blameful way.