Diabetes Type 1 & Constant Colds

cyrryan

Hi all,

I am concerned that I continuosly have a head cold even though my Doctor has given me numerous antibiotics too much to count here! It is a constant nuisance and i am always blowing my nose and I take parecetomol, vicks etc. All of these help for a while but then it comes back again. This is a continuous thing for me and a worry too! I don't have comfort with it! My blood sugars are normal and i exercise most days! Every time I go to the doctor she prescribes antibiotics! Can anyone offer any advice on this matter :?

Thanks
C

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Are you sure this is a head cold ? A cold is caused by a virus and antibiotics do nothing against viruses !

Has your doctor checked for other causes such as an allergy or sinusitis to name but two ?

Too many courses of unneccessary antibiotics cause you to become resistant to them storing up trouble for when you really need an antibiotic for a bacterial infection.

jaykay

When you say Vicks, do you mean those spray things that you put up your nose. They can cause a serious problem if used for too long and can actually cause the problem they are supposed to help. The other thing that it could be is something called post nasal drip. I think you need to go back and talk to your GP again.

cyrryan

Many thanks for replies which are most helpful!!
To answer some of the questions posed, I use Vicks Vapa Rub which is a gel substance applied to chest and throat. i inhale the aroma of vapa and it is soothing and somewhat beneficial for me! I have been prescribed nasal decongestant sprays but i found them irritating to say the least!
I really don't know what type of infection or condition it is, but I find it annoying and it is constantly there. I believe antibiotics are resistant to it as I have been on quite alot of them!!
I have an appointment with my G.P on Monday and I will raise some of the issues here!

C

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you actually feel like you have a cold (headache, body aches, fever etc) or is it just a runny nose? You may have rhinitis (which means runny nose). I had this last year, started with a cold, after a few days I felt better but nose kept running and I coughed up phlegm for weeks. A nasal spray (steroid, not decongestant) from the doctor got it under control.

If the doctor insists you need more antibiotics, ask to have a sample tested first to see what infection you have, so you can get the right antibotics for the specific infection (if you have one).