Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That's interesting reading about Avastin, I have had retinopathy problems in the past (but thankfully settled at the moment) but have never heard of this drug, sounds like a godsend to those who may benefit from the treatment!

Nigel

dani-a

Just giving you all my personal experience of using Avastin, I find this treatment to be fantstic for me, as stated before I was against laser surgery and was lucky enough to have a great opthomologist who had his finger on the pulse and knew about Avastin.
I have 7 injections since 2008 and no need for any laser surgery as yet. As far as I know it can also be used for other eye problems.
I must add that I am using this purely for PDR and am lucky enough (at present) not to be suffering with any swelling or loss of vision. Avastin will not restore sight.
The injection takes a couple of seconds and the thought of it is far worse that the actual proceedure, my eyes are basically back to normal the next day so it's off to work I go!
If anyone has the chance to try this, despite it costing a bit, then I would highly recommend it
Dani

hawalkden

Hi Kieran;

I felt the same way when I was diagnosed..
19 just finishing college and though it would go away. I didn’t test, inject and just ate the things I was use to (more like my body was use to with all the high sugars!) Until Feb this year (my birthday of all days!) when I went into A&E with sickness and pure hell feeling that I just didn’t want to be in pain anymore. Next thing I knew was in the assessment ward with drips and oxygen and the day after on life support for a week. The reason why is because I went into a diabetic coma (DKA diabetic ketoacidosis). I was in hospital for a month due to my high bloods, getting pneumonia and a blood clot but all the time I was in hospital the Doctors and Consultants kept saying it was my fault because I didn’t have control of my diabetes, which in a way was but at the same time they were to blame to because they didn’t give me the right advice, getting chucked to different professionals and I didn’t even know DKA was a word let alone when it entailed.
So because of my episode of being in hospital my diabetes team enrolled me onto the DAFNE Course which was a god send to be honest, because a whole week with other diabetics sounds the worst thing ever but I don’t know what I’d do if I didn’t go on the course. You can share experiences and I felt I could be ‘normal’ for a change and forget about other people watching me inject or get frustrated about how I felt.
Also while being on the course I learn a lot, about how to carb count and feeling more positive about the whole ‘Diabetes’ and lifestyle; and yeah the first week of being on the course my blood sugar readings were great, ‘normal readings e.g 6.7 before dinner’ and below 15 most of the time and it seems to good to be try but to be honest if you keep up with it and don’t get to frustrated and concentrate on all your readings not just the ‘bad’ or high ones you’ll soon understand what works for you and still keep with your eating habits.
So my advice is to go and ask your GP or Diabetic Team about getting onto the DAFNE Course because it does help and is great to have the knowledge to try and move on with your Condition.
:)