Diabetes UK agm local group

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to my local group. It was a agm neet, deciding who to have speakers next year.
Only a hand full of people was there. I was the only person who low carb. Everyone else followed the guidelines and insist that carbs are needed for energy, It was so frustating
Informed by someone who has just had his metformin increased. That Alc gives whole picture of how levels are over time and testing only gives a snap shot.
My comment was, by testing pre and post prandial gives better control over a period of time, giving a much better HbA1c.
I'm going to next meet for the dietician speaker, no doubt will give out the usual advice.
Low carb has not reached the so called leafing experts on the Wirral. Grrrr

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done for taking the time to attend. It sounds so disheartening.
All we can do is to keep plugging away and to keep mentioning our successes, even if one person is made curious enough to find out more about insulin sparing diets then word will spread.

Reactions: SueJB

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One person did say they were going to try it. I gave a few names out, like Unwin and Bernstein and how successful for many people low carbing. I mentioned Wirral has the highest rate of amputations, It did not click with them which is a shame.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
One person did say they were going to try it. I gave a few names out, like Unwin and Bernstein and how successful for many people low carbing. I mentioned Wirral has the highest rate of amputations, It did not click with them which is a shame.

Seeing as how The Wirral is only over water from Southport it is a wonder how they have managed to be ignorant of/ignore Dr. Unwin's winning formula.

Well done for throwing names and facts about, you may have done that one person the biggest favour they've ever had.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They said, he is too far away to invite him as a speaker. That's a shame as Dr Unwin would give a balance view.
The group seem to just have the same speakers, who give out the same old same old. No one it seems willing to challange the advice. I said " the whole point of diabetes, is the pancreas cannot produce insulin adequately to break down carbs, hence high glucose levels. Why eat carbs. I did go on to say, by low carbing it gives the pancreas a rest, preserving beta cells and helps with insulin sensitivity for T2 diabetes. If continuing eating carbs eventually end up on insulin and that T2 diabetes does not need to be progressive.
Still have some resistance from the group. Even when someone said, they folliwed all the advice which was given, his diabetic team did not believe him and found it upsetting, and thinks what's the point. It was only me who was able to address the issue. I will attend to the next meet which is the dietician speaker, because it will benefit me. I have not seen my diabetetic nurses because they don't agree with low carbing and that was 4 years ago.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just a little thing but for the majority of people with poorly managed Pre Diabetes or Type 2 Diabetes the problem is not a lack of insulin it is far too much insulin + insulin resistance. While some with T2 do suffer beta cell exhaustion/death this would depend on age, Diabetes management, length of time since diagnosis etc. The key is to eat foods lower in carbs so as to provoke as shallow an insulin response as possible.

As one of my favourite speakers on the subject says "It's all about the Insulin".

BTW. How on earth do they reckon that The Wirral is too far from Southport? Pfft!

Reactions: pixie1