Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Were you selected?
I just realised the dates were soon but hadn't heard anything back...
Sent a chaser e-mail..

Yes. I got a call last Thursday, spoke to them again yesterday and was selected.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I did the interview for the Diabetes UK research. Lasted about an hour and a half. As well as the independent researcher, who conducted the interview, a guy from DUK sat in on it taking copious notes. Ended up being quite an opportunity to wax lyrical about keto and related topics - and get paid for it!

They were interested in a lot of detail - timeline from diagnosis to ‘remission’; support or otherwise from HCPs, friends, online sources - plugged this forum endlessly; feelings and how they changed overtime; lifestyle changes made etc.

Interestingly they asked whether I was aware of other ways to reverse diabetes. I spoke about the Newcastle diet. She asked whether I thought that would be as effective - another open door.

They also wanted to know what should change, and what support newly diagnosed type 2s should get. Another chance to get on the soapbox and talk about the eatwell plate, government guidelines, @Southport GP ’s infographics and so on.

There was also a question about what I thought of DUKs advice/approach. Big gulp since the staff member was sat right next to me, but didn’t hold back on talking about poor dietary advice, being in bed with companies with a vested interest in the processed food industry.

On the way out of the building the researcher mentioned that she has BG issues (sounded like RH from the little she said) and ate a ketogenic diet.....

Will be very interested to see what comes out of it all.

Reactions: DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I applied, got an email offering dates, replied again accepting, but have heard nothing back.
Well done @Goonergal sounds like 90 mins exceedingly well spent.

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I applied, got an email offering dates, replied again accepting, but have heard nothing back.
Well done @Goonergal sounds like 90 mins exceedingly well spent.

Hopefully they’ll be back in touch, or maybe prompt them? I initially heard nothing and then all of a sudden they got in touch wanting to do things in a hurry. The 90 minutes flew by!

Reactions: DJC3