Diabetes & under-active thyroid.body go

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On a thyroid forum somebody has sent me this comment and link.

If you had a problem with your thyroid when you were diagnosed as diabetic you should re-assess your diagnosis as the HbA1c test is not good if you are hypothyroid. The test measures the amount of sugar sticking to the blood corpuscles and with normal people they break down after 3 months. In a hypothyroid patient the corpuscles hang around longer and therefore pick up more sugar than average in their life time. Therefore the sugar load is going to be more even if you are not diabetic.
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/hypothyroidism-falsely-raises-hba1c-and-glycated-albumin-levels

If this is true I've done very well getting my A1c at 36.

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

M

Member496333

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

With regard to thyroid specifically, no. But it is true that Hba1c is an indirect measurement of mean glucose and is subject to erroneous results. I think @DCUKMod is pretty well informed on all things thyroid, so will perhaps have more insight.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, @Jim Lahey .

@carol43 - Interesting article.

From a personal perspective, I was diagnosed with an A1c of 73, so can't realistically claim foul plan, and that was before I had any hypothyroid symptoms (nor had my thyroid function ever been tested).

Moving forward, my A1cs have never, ever matched or closely compared with my finger prick or Libre tests.

My A1c was solidly toggling 31<>33 for quite some time, but having eventually started on Levothyroxine, my last A1c was 27 - my lowest ever. Having just last month started a 6-month trial of T3, I'll be fascinated to see what the next one will be.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod. On taking T3 my TSH is at zero. The GP I saw, she's newly qualified, was not happy. I use a site 'Recovering with T3' and Paul Robinson sent me some studies that I printed off and gave to GP. Yesterday I had a phone conversation with GP and she said that I was discussed at their meeting. She was told by another GP that my levels are fine. Next time I have to see a doctor about thyroid I will be seeing him. She said I obviously know what I am doing so will leave it up to me. Next blood test will be sometime next year.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod. On taking T3 my TSH is at zero. The GP I saw, she's newly qualified, was not happy. I use a site 'Recovering with T3' and Paul Robinson sent me some studies that I printed off and gave to GP. Yesterday I had a phone conversation with GP and she said that I was discussed at their meeting. She was told by another GP that my levels are fine. Next time I have to see a doctor about thyroid I will be seeing him. She said I obviously know what I am doing so will leave it up to me. Next blood test will be sometime next year.

Ooooh. I have just bookmarked the website for a good old read.

My Endo appointment was somewhat extended (1hr 20min), as he tried to defer prescribing T3. I wouldn't let him off the hook. No idea what the 3 students thought though. (Ooops).

In the end he grumbled, "OK, you can have it now if you really want it. Most of it is all about money.......".

Perhaps if you have a sympathetic GP, he would write a more robust referral for you. I know it took a while for me to help my GP (who has since left - not fair! Actually, she was heading sort of in your direction) understand what was going on, by walking her through my understanding.

It really would be good to have the financial burden shifted from you personally.

I think I'll have a real fight on my hands in the spring, but I won't be giving this up without an epic fight.

I've been on the T3 5 weeks now and I feel quite different. I'll be having some bloods done next weekend, mid-point from when the Endo wants the next test, just to have a glimpse of the direction of travel of my bloods.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod
I pay about £28 for 200 x 25mcg of Tiromel (Liothyronine Sodium) If you want the supplier I can send you a PM.