Diabetes Week 2019

Do you know any non-diabetics that know it's currently Diabetes Week?

• Yes

• No

• Only after I told them

Results are only viewable after voting.

BeckiDover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love that we have a week where we can openly talk about having and living with diabetes, and not feel like we're moaning about the hand we've been dealt when there is worse things going on in the world (lets be honest) - but, isn't the whole point of this week to raise awareness and change societies view on the condition, which, is much more serious than many people realise, as its often a butt of a joke (I do actually love a good diabetes joke though).

My point is, and i'd love to hear other peoples views on it, this week only seems to be a thing, and recognised, within the diabetic community - wouldn't you like to see this week being as well publicised as, for example, most recently, mental health awareness week? So, despite having this week to try raise awareness, it still doesn't seem to shake its stigma of its what your gran has or you got that from eating too much sugar and not exercising. I'm not putting this week down by any means, but i feel like there is still a lot of work to do to get this condition recognised by a wider audience than just those who unfortunately have it. Afterall, isn't the statistic that there is more people living with diabetes in the UK than cancer and dementia combined? Yet how many people even know its diabetes week

Last edited:
Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Unless you are diabetic you will know very little about ANYTHING diabetic related. I don't think we need a special week to talk about our diabetes, I talk about mine a lot to a lot of people (I am a receptionist in a very busy garage). It would be nice if there was a lot more awareness about it......

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only