Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Dial999 said:
Do you think the last 30 years will be considered the diabetes dark ages?

Certainly not, diabetes care has moved forward rapidly over the last 20-30 years, the chances of living a long and active life with diabetes now are greater than they have been due to modern drugs and education programmes rolled out in recent times.

Nigel

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Interesting to note that, although Metformin was first synthesized in the 1920's it did not become prescribed till 1958 in the UK. Once they had a treatment for Type 2 they then appeared to change the dietery advice....did they think that the Metformin was doing all the work ? .....not sure !!!

Up until then the advice for Diabetics was to reduce carbs or take Insulin. Before Insulin was invented Type 1's did not live too long but one of the ways they did survive was to drastically reduce their carb intake.

Before Frederick Banting discovered Insulin you had William Banting who devised a diet low in carbs back in 1863, although this was more to do with dieting than Diabetes.

This cook book predates Insulin.

http://www.archive.org/stream/diabeticc ... 7/mode/2up

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I think the last 50 or so years wil be considered as the time that making money by treating symtoms became more important than attacking the cause of those symptoms.

I think the "assumptions" need to be revsited wrt treating diabetes.

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Patch said:

I think the last 50 or so years wil be considered as the time that making money by treating symtoms became more important than attacking the cause of those symptoms.

I think the "assumptions" need to be revsited wrt treating diabetes.

Even as a child back in the 60's/70's I remember diabetics being told by their Doctors to go on a "special diet". They were "ordered" (Doctors orders) to eat less potatoes, rice, pasta/macaroni with the usual no sugar, chocolates, cakes etc. My mother, who was not diabetic at the time, was also given this "order" though I can't remember why. So it actually wasn't that bad back then, it just seems that this old advice have been forgotten by the majority of the new Docs for some reason or other.

"money making" yes, I have to agree but without modern new technology/research and medication, a hell of a lot of us would/might not be alive today.