Diabetic and Depression

spanieleyes

Hi Everyone,

I'm a recovering depressive.

Have any of you tried mindfulness? My local NHS run a Mindfulness Course for people who have been having one to one consultations for depression. It's based on this book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Mindful...1286/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1363275704&sr=8-7

I hope you might find this useful. There's loads of information on mindfulness on the web.

When I start to feel the "black dog" (as Churchill used to call it) creeping up on me I make sure to make time for extra meditations.

I still often feel like **** but it does help. I hope this information might help some others too. You're certainly not alone!!

Love to all.

C

catherinecherub

If your depression is related to your diabetes then this article is useful in explaining why we get depressed about it. We are not saints and the constant daily management can take it's toll on anyone regardless of how good or bad their control is.

Some of us have other chronic conditions to deal with as well and we do not all have the same support system of family and friends that we can relate our problems to. It is no wonder that we get depressed.

The article has three parts and is written by someone with diabetes.
http://www.diabetesexplained.com/emotio ... betes.html

titchy_lou

catherinecherub said:
If your depression is related to your diabetes then this article is useful in explaining why we get depressed about it. We are not saints and the constant daily management can take it's toll on anyone regardless of how good or bad their control is.

Some of us have other chronic conditions to deal with as well and we do not all have the same support system of family and friends that we can relate our problems to. It is no wonder that we get depressed.

The article has three parts and is written by someone with diabetes.
http://www.diabetesexplained.com/emotio ... betes.html

This was a really interesting article, I can relate to a lot of the content.

Diabetes type 1.5
Diagnosed September 2011
Currently on basal insulin

lani mitchell

Good to hear different kind of testimonials here. Well, I don't have personal experienced with diabetes though... Depression yes! And was in the verge of trying to smoke.

stephdoc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have bad. Depressive episodes I have nurses giving me my injections because they fear i may take too much I can't cope with it all

nicola38

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi tony your not alone in believing in god im type two and suffers on and off depression.im seeing two therapist at the moment one to with diabetics as they both are linked. Im not taking any meds i prefer to talk about my feelings and problems if and when they occur.ok i too talk to my mum alot she is still with us.and long story short i find no matter how depressed i feel when im in church something the holy spirit takes over my mind body n soul n even days after i still feel good n bright so i know it helps alot we got to thankful for they are people out there much much worst than we are. Not having any support as they are too afraid to ask for help not having access to wedsite or group talks its good to see all these replies on this subject. Nicola

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jaevans36

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Not so many dislikes, just typically things that are problematic.
Hi Steph (and everyone else),

I found your article when browsing around the web, looking at depression. It had never occurred to me that depression could have such a massive affect on my diabetes but going from a HBA1C of 6 for 8 years up to a 9 was a bit of a kick in the ass to be frank. I had before now considered myself to be quite good at controlling my sugar levels (I'm type 1) with minimal effort but recently it's like my whole world has been turned upside down.

I'd like to consider myself quite a strong willed person so admitting that I think I need help has been a bit of a problem (I had a rather rude awakening after many months of a list of bad feelings, I finally broke down in front of my friends which isn't really the environment I would have chosen!).

Initially when I started feeling the way I did I didn't know what to do, I'm still a little unsure where to turn as I'm not very good at asking for help for even the smallest of things. At the moment I'm under review at work due to 3 bouts of illness in the last 12 months, although I wouldn't really consider them related to my diabetes they are all part of my deteriorating health over the course of about 2/3 years if I look back now. I have been in a similar position previously where life just got on top of me and it's hard to find people who can truly empathize with your situation, which I guess is why I've left it so long, feeling a bit stupid and pathetic that I feel this way at all.

I'm 27 and I've only been diabetic for 9 years and I know a couple of type 1 diabetics (my mother included), who don't seem to be phased by it which makes me feel isolated and that other people wont understand because of the way they are, how I feel at the moment.

I think work has been the hardest thing for me because where previously I've been very good at my job, I've started feeling very unmotivated, like I'm failing at everything I try and I lack any level of concentration longer than a minute, meetings are particularly hard. I wouldn't consider myself a lazy person and before I tore my ACL ligament 3 years ago I was very active, which I think is part of the reason why I've got to this point.

I am monitoring my insulin around 5 times a day now but my control seems to be getting worse rather than better, I have a feeling that something has changed since the change in my fitness levels but it just feels like it's all piling on top like a giant anxiety sandwich...

This is actually the first time I've put everything down, because I'm usually very good at shrugging things off - which I guess is why I've typed it here rather than talking to anyone about it properly, because it's far easier to do it this way than look someone in the eye and admit that I feel this way.

My other reason for writing here is to see how you are getting on and if you have anything you could share that may inspire me to stop being scared of sharing in a face to face environment :? (I apologize for the length of my message - I get a bit carried away when typing)

Jay

Mollylucy

Just read your posts. Helpful. I feel down just now been reading heaps on the Internet. I think I am in denial. I was diagnosed 10 years ago. My control is shocking and most of the times don't take my meds properly. What should I do? Who should I talk to?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Kirsty-5

I feel a bit like you. A year ago today I was discharged from hospital after being in High Dependency Unit - since that day despite asking I have not had contact from single diabetic professional. I have never felt so low as I do now and I have been told depression is a big side effect.

Big hugs xx

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is light at the end of the tunnel, have had depressive episodes in the past and felt all alone. When u feel ready the best approach is to be pro active. Find all the info u can about controlling diabetes, keep good diaries of results amount of carbs eaten just for a short period to help see rises/falls in levels and get them steadier. Any issues contact your care team, don't wait for then to contact u! Excercise is very useful but hard to do when feeling so low, but make yourself do something if only a little walk. Be open with close family, it can help. If not diabetic related same approach, of your not happy with something, be pro active.
best wishes to all suffering, hope you see the light soon.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Mollylucy

Thanks both. Made appointment to get bloods checked. Then will speak to my doc and let him know how I feel. Even just writing a wee post has made some difference.

Thank you x

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great start, keep going strong

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

candiloo

Hi - I have also suffered with depressions, and to cut a long story short, I take metformin and it eats B12 and I have been advised to take B12 sublingually, that the levels should be kept up and hey presto - I can remember where I am when I wake up,get through the day without hysterical breakdowns when I can't even remember how to change gear and I can think again. It is like a fog has lifted and my brain is working. Ask for a blood test for it - although mine came back at 232 and apparently this is on the low side of normal - it is not normal for me. I read all I could, and deduced that from the reports I read, it needs to bee in the 900s. I got to 980 and keep it there as I really notice if it drops off. You can get tablets on the internet, because chances are you won't want to have injections, which are big hits and only last a couple of months. You can't overdose as you pee it out and I would not even have been able to type this if I didn't have B12. I went to loads of job interviews at work at couldn't even remember how to do a spread sheet (which I used to do every day) and left my glasses there. Now I have got the job I wanted and can remember what I am doing and do it well again. Such a relief. Try it. You just tuck it under your tongue and let it melt.

Isobel94

Hey Steph,

If you're still alive and kicking, you can get everything under control, one step at a time. It can be frustrating, but it is worth it. It can be hard to accept being diabetic as taking injections every day is perceived as being "not normal" however that depends on your view on normality ;). There are many different people in the world with different problems, different backgrounds, different views, so therefore you'll never know what the word "normal" means in society-- you'll never please everyone at once. Just be who you are and be proud, and give yourself a pat on the back every now and then with a nice cup of coffee or a new pair of shoes :). Today I had a bit of bad day with my sugars (coming off my period) so I decided I would dye my hair. Life is too short to be miserable ;)
Of course I have to try and keep my levels as good as possible so as not to incur serious shopping bills :lol:

I used to feel somewhat ashamed of giving myself injections in public as I had the same view as you. And yes, I was surrounded by people who didn't have to inject themselves. But I realised then that it was normal for me, to take injections. I would rather quietly take my injection than have to be taken to hospital with ambulances blaring :p

Hang in there! You are important!

Izzy.