Diabetic Craft Club

S

Sable_Jan

Went to a monthly craft club organised by somebody at work for friends, colleagues and family members.

I think quite a few people have been converted to sewing after the many 9 square disappearing patches created last night ... as all the ladies from my other craft club became tutors for the evening

A good time had by all
I'm intrigued, what's a "9 square disappearing patch" please

hornplayer

New paintings on the go. Very nerve wracking . I'm veering back and fore between love and hate at the moment. It's always the same when my style shifts. - Because I'm not a trained artist, I didn't spend years and years developing my style, and I don't have much time to paint, so my work kinda develops in lurches. I sometimes only do one or two paintings in a style before I'm over it and I move on. It isn't conscious, it just doesn't look right.... And then it does. My old art teacher thought it was really funny, until I got elected (unanimously) to the Royal Watercolour Society of Wales, ...... And she got rejected. Twice. (Lol )
The new style is completely different. And scary. I don't know if it works. My Dad loves it, but he's never really liked a lot of my stuff before so I don't know if that's a good thing .
Sorry. Just looking for reassurance in the middle of the night I s'pose. But I'm too chicken to put any photos up yet. I will when something is properly finished. Promise. In the meantime, please just ignore my little anxiety attacks.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people
S

Sable_Jan

New paintings on the go. Very nerve wracking . I'm veering back and fore between love and hate at the moment. It's always the same when my style shifts. - Because I'm not a trained artist, I didn't spend years and years developing my style, and I don't have much time to paint, so my work kinda develops in lurches. I sometimes only do one or two paintings in a style before I'm over it and I move on. It isn't conscious, it just doesn't look right.... And then it does. My old art teacher thought it was really funny, until I got elected (unanimously) to the Royal Watercolour Society of Wales, ...... And she got rejected. Twice. (Lol )
The new style is completely different. And scary. I don't know if it works. My Dad loves it, but he's never really liked a lot of my stuff before so I don't know if that's a good thing .
Sorry. Just looking for reassurance in the middle of the night I s'pose. But I'm too chicken to put any photos up yet. I will when something is properly finished. Promise. In the meantime, please just ignore my little anxiety attacks.

Hi @hornplayer,
Hope the painting has progressed. I replied earlier but it didn't send
Art is so so subjective. I would finish the one your Dad likes, even if you don't use it for your exhibition, and gift it to him.
I just didn't get any aesthetic value from my eldest's fine art exhibit for her degree but that was the culmination of the work as a whole, the why and wherefore if it, it's meaning etc and how she arrived at it.... Another person had what looked like curtains of rags hanging another just speakers that vibrated to the pulse of the music rather than giving any sound.
Go with what you feel, your art is your expression, individuality.

S

Sable_Jan

I love quilting since you can incorporate beloved parts of your past
The old fashioned patchwork quilts used to be made up of remnants of garments that could no longer be passed down or refitted or made partial use of in other garments. Had a patchwork quilt as a child which I loved but was too young to know any significance from it. Leftover pieces from when a new garment had been made (so the fabric was still new) would be made as wedding presents or other gifts (or for best) . Always liked the idea but never made any. Crochet blankets aplenty from odd balls and now for the dogs using bits n bobs

hornplayer

1bd179d2b1183eecce405e9ea3ab23ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 4 people

AnniB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Your quilt is lovely. I really like the colours. I have made two in the past, the first one started out as a cushion cover! I made panels with hexagons divided by white borders and it sort of grew!

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

hornplayer

Your quilt is lovely. I really like the colours. I have made two in the past, the first one started out as a cushion cover! I made panels with hexagons divided by white borders and it sort of grew!

Thank you. Mine always start out as cushion cover too.

hornplayer

c7806a86e64b1d03d2a519808363dadf.jpg

Lol, it's been bugging me, so I changed it. It's done now.....probably...

I need to get it off to the framers really quick before I paint over it! Lol

Just started the next two.

Reactions: 7 people

AnniB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sewing Bee tonight. Have a dress to finish -am wearing it tomorrow!

Reactions: 4 people