Diabetic Craft Club

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, hadn't thought to do that as I imagined them for use in the garden. I will test one out tonight and see if the bottom gets hot. Probably won't as the heat should be rising, but then it could when all the wax is molten.
I was thinking they could be great here, where we do mainly outdoor living. I can't recall when we last ate indoors. Our patio furniture is teak, and I know, from experience, it can scorch once tea lights get molten and low.

We almost always have at least one candle lit, as we use soya wax, with citronella to keep the bugs away.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was thinking they could be great here, where we do mainly outdoor living. I can't recall when we last ate indoors. Our patio furniture is teak, and I know, from experience, it can scorch once tea lights get molten and low.

We almost always have at least one candle lit, as we use soya wax, with citronella to keep the bugs away.
I'm not sure where "here" is in your case. :)

They are easy enough to make. They are old dog food tins in my case, as we get a tin a day. I found a cheap online supplier of cans of spray paint - Kobra, sold on Amazon uk.

You freeze about an inch of water in the bottom of a can. Then when that's frozen, fill the can with water and freeze it again.

You have 2 ways of doing the pattern. Either draw it out on paper and tape it round the can, or draw it on the can with a pen. I did the latter and my pen washed off, but it could easily have been sprayed over. I chose to do it this way so I could make hole in the dips of the can's ridges, asyou can slip off the peaks.

You use a nail and hammer to make the holes, tapping into the ice. If you don't have the ice the tin bends. Different sized nails make different sized holes. I made two holes near the top on either side for handles to go through. I worked from the top down, then, if I needed to stop I could fill with water to the level I'd reached and refreeze (not that I needed to do that). Obviously I only worked on one can at a time.

Then I used wire to make a handle, and I sprayed the whole thing. My latest ones are orange with Hallowe'en style pumpkin faces, and I've painted the eyes, nose etc in black.

You could use a glue gun to glue a piece of cork tile to the base to avoid scorching.

Reactions: 7 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure where "here" is in your case. :)

They are easy enough to make. They are old dog food tins in my case, as we get a tin a day. I found a cheap online supplier of cans of spray paint - Kobra, sold on Amazon uk.

You freeze about an inch of water in the bottom of a can. Then when that's frozen, fill the can with water and freeze it again.

You have 2 ways of doing the pattern. Either draw it out on paper and tape it round the can, or draw it on the can with a pen. I did the latter and my pen washed off, but it could easily have been sprayed over. I chose to do it this way so I could make hole in the dips of the can's ridges, asyou can slip off the peaks.

You use a nail and hammer to make the holes, tapping into the ice. If you don't have the ice the tin bends. Different sized nails make different sized holes. I made two holes near the top on either side for handles to go through. I worked from the top down, then, if I needed to stop I could fill with water to the level I'd reached and refreeze (not that I needed to do that). Obviously I only worked on one can at a time.

Then I used wire to make a handle, and I sprayed the whole thing. My latest ones are orange with Hallowe'en style pumpkin faces, and I've painted the eyes, nose etc in black.

You could use a glue gun to glue a piece of cork tile to the base to avoid scorching.

Thanks Rosie.

"Here" is our Caribbean paradise. We're very fortunate to have the life we do, and in some ways it's part of the reason I saw my diagnosis as an extremely inconvenient bump in the road. I did have to give myself a good talking to to make myself understand it though. :)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I think all your crafts are so good, my so called craft is bring back a old car back to life. here is a photo of a old morris minor that is now happy,View attachment 6113 then and when she was completedView attachment 6116 My latest project is a 1970 austin healey sprite

Well done Izzzi, I was wondering if this was just 'soft crafts' on here (all excellent)!

As a railway modeller, my main current (joint) project is a scale model of the Ouse Valley Viaduct in Sussex. It's 20 ft long with 37 arches and will be part of a larger enterprise. The pictures here show just one end of it, and the 'pavilions' under construction.

It's hand made but assisted with modern technology such as 3D printing and laser cutting (outsourced) as well as more traditional work with wood and plastic, etching and resin casting. Keeps us off the streets anyway.

P1000341.JPG P3030012.JPG

Reactions: 14 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done Izzzi, I was wondering if this was just 'soft crafts' on here (all excellent)!

As a railway modeller, my main current (joint) project is a scale model of the Ouse Valley Viaduct in Sussex. It's 20 ft long with 37 arches and will be part of a larger enterprise. The pictures here show just one end of it, and the 'pavilions' under construction.

It's hand made but assisted with modern technology such as 3D printing and laser cutting (outsourced) as well as more traditional work with wood and plastic, etching and resin casting. Keeps us off the streets anyway.

View attachment 6170 View attachment 6171
It looks amazing. Is it a project for yourself, in which case where do you keep it and where do you have your set up? My husband would find it interesting, though one of his loves is working steam trains - few and far between these days but provided excuses to visit India and China in the past!

He has one mate, from as long ago as infant school, and the two share 'train' news, since they are the only people they know who would understand or have an interest!

Edit - and hey, hammering holes in tins cans isn't 'soft', nor was sewing last week when I sewed straight through my own finger with the sewing machine - LOL :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
It looks amazing. Is it a project for yourself, in which case where do you keep it and where do you have your set up?

Thanks Rosie! We are a team of two principally, but we can call on several others if and when needed. It's far too big to set up at home as a complete unit, at the moment it's stored in five sections in my co-conspirator's loft. It's by no means finished, and can only be put up fully if it's at an exhibition or if we hire a local hall.

Edit - and hey, hammering holes in tins cans isn't 'soft', nor was sewing last week when I sewed straight through my own finger with the sewing machine - LOL :eek:

Lol yes I set myself up for that one didn't I! Ouch sewing through your finger :confused: - we can cut ourselves with scalpels or catch a soldering iron in the web between your fingers!

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 6170 View attachment 6171
I have got to say, I am impressed. just read up about this great Viaduct, "unbelievable" 11 million bricks needed for its construction etc;

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have got to say, I am impressed. just read up about this great Viaduct, "unbelievable" 11 million bricks needed for its construction etc;

Thankfully that's not how we're doing it in miniature!

Yes it is an iconic structure.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today's efforts. Sorry about photo quality. Husband has the camera and these were taken with the laptop camera.

P1407281817331.jpg P1407281817466.jpg P1407281818045.jpg

Reactions: 5 people

ck18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been doing Cross stitch, knitting, crochet and card making, just for fun, for over 20 years. Haven't done much in the last few months - seem to have been reading more recently. Love my kindle - easy to keep with me to read whenever I want to.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been doing Cross stitch, knitting, crochet and card making, just for fun, for over 20 years. Haven't done much in the last few months - seem to have been reading more recently. Love my kindle - easy to keep with me to read whenever I want to.
I've really taken to the Kindle too. I wish I'd had it when we travelled round Europe for a year. Though keeping myself in reading material by swapping with fellow travellers did bring up some books that i would never have chosen otherwise.
I have published a couple of historical adventures for kindle too and a book of 4 short, supernatural tales.

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
:rolleyes: :( :eek: Well I have gone and done it now, talk about never being satisfied, l have called my glass fusing kiln into action. Hubby bought it about 3 years ago for my birthday. I primed the shelf but found the instructions a bit daunting. I had started to set a wall hanging up, of course it was full of dust, well I washed the pieces and added more. Found easy to follow instructions for my kiln via Youtube (god bless Youtube ). Well I have set it cooking I will find out tomorrow weather it has been success or failure . Fingers crossed.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:rolleyes: :( :eek: Well I have gone and done it now, talk about never being satisfied, l have called my glass fusing kiln into action. Hubby bought it about 3 years ago for my birthday. I primed the shelf but found the instructions a bit daunting. I had started to set a wall hanging up, of course it was full of dust, well I washed the pieces and added more. Found easy to follow instructions for my kiln via Youtube (god bless Youtube ). Well I have set it cooking I will find out tomorrow weather it has been success or failure . Fingers crossed.

Oooooh,..................... That sounds exciting. May we see a pic when you can?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I make silver charm bracelets which I mostly give as presents. I love starting with a curb chain and adding charms to the chain. It's a kind of layers thing. Haven't made anything in a while as been bit preoccupied with work and diabetes. Must start again soon. Should post pics!

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
They are very cute.x

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
:rolleyes: :( :eek: Well I have gone and done it now, talk about never being satisfied, l have called my glass fusing kiln into action. Hubby bought it about 3 years ago for my birthday. I primed the shelf but found the instructions a bit daunting. I had started to set a wall hanging up, of course it was full of dust, well I washed the pieces and added more. Found easy to follow instructions for my kiln via Youtube (god bless Youtube ). Well I have set it cooking I will find out tomorrow weather it has been success or failure . Fingers crossed. [/QUOTE]

Well it didn't turnout too bad for a first shot borrowed Hubby's Dremel to going down some rough edges.
GAR - First fuse.png

Reactions: 6 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow that's so cool! I love a bit of YouTube!

I learnt all my cake decorating skills from there.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Well it didn't turnout too bad for a first shot borrowed Hubby's Dremel to going down some rough edges.
View attachment 6877[/QUOTE]

That's rather gorgeous Opal. Over time, will you be able to create pictures with it? A couple of months ago, we looked at something like that in St Martin or St Kitts, and it cost a fortune!

Reactions: 3 people

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
View attachment 6877

That's rather gorgeous Opal. Over time, will you be able to create pictures with it? A couple of months ago, we looked at something like that in St Martin or St Kitts, and it cost a fortune![/QUOTE]

Thank you the only problem being at the moment my glass cutting sucks. Lol, that's why its made up of shards. Seems I have the right nick.