Diabetic Craft Club

AnniB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a knitting machine and for years used to make all my own knitwear but when they became less popular and I became bigger, there were fewer patterns available and you are limited by the ply of the 'wool' and the number of needles on the standard bed(200). I started hand knitting but could never reproduce the consistency that I had with machine knitting, even though I did block the pieces before making them up.

Reactions: 2 people

donnac1968

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My latest knitting project

Attachments

• IMG_3991.jpg
    IMG_3991.jpg
    716.5 KB · Views: 170
Reactions: 4 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Ok I have ask what blocking is?[/
Blocking is laying out flat, your knitted object on a towel on a board of some description. You damp the garment and leave it to dry. It helps to relax the knitting and the stitches. Its most useful for lace work and scarves where the edges have rolled in on themselves. There are lots of vids on you tube that can explain better than me.

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Currently working on two pairs of knitted knockers for breast cancer survivors. :) I'd post pictures but I'm uncertain if they would violate the site rules.

They're lightweight alternatives to silicone prostheses and I knit them for charity.

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thank you. That's a problem I've struggled with in the past so will have to remember that!

S

Sable_Jan

Currently working on two pairs of knitted knockers for breast cancer survivors. :) I'd post pictures but I'm uncertain if they would violate the site rules.

They're lightweight alternatives to silicone prostheses and I knit them for charity.
I'm sure no-one would object.....I'd hardly call knitted knockers indecent exposure....AND they're for a good cause

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure no-one would object.....I'd hardly call knitted knockers indecent exposure....AND they're for a good cause

Alright! :)

This is a pair I knit up in May. I have requests every now and then but they're usually the same. I buy a cute little bag from the dollar store with a card to personalize the gift, give care instructions and give them words of encouragement. I use the pattern from the US knitted knockers website and it's been received well by everyone I've knit for. :)

I never charge for them but do take optional donations so I can continue to knit for others in need without going broke in the process. I prefer to knit for local ladies in need, but send any excess for the US charity so they can redistribute them to women worldwide.

2016-05-30-1.jpg

Reactions: 5 people
S

Sable_Jan

Alright! :)

This is a pair I knit up in May. I have requests every now and then but they're usually the same. I buy a cute little bag from the dollar store with a card to personalize the gift, give care instructions and give them words of encouragement. I use the pattern from the US knitted knockers website and it's been received well by everyone I've knit for. :)

I never charge for them but do take optional donations so I can continue to knit for others in need without going broke in the process. I prefer to knit for local ladies in need, but send any excess for the US charity so they can redistribute them to women worldwide.

2016-05-30-1.jpg
They're ever so neat. The knitting I could do but no-one on this earth would want to wear the finished items once I'd stuffed them.... such a clever and environmentally friendly idea too..

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They're ever so neat. The knitting I could do but no-one on this earth would want to wear the finished items once I'd stuffed them.... such a clever and environmentally friendly idea too..

Thank you! Do you find stuffing difficult? I put in little bits of stuffing one at a time and then spend some time kneading the knockers (dubious as it may sound LOL) until they've got the right shape. The receivers can also remove and add stuffing themselves because they're not closed up on the back, so they can adjust the shapes as they wish.

You can also send unstuffed knockers to the US charity, they don't mind doing the stuffing for you. :)

Kezziej

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I love this thread, I drawn and do commission pieces but also teach private childrens art lessons
Here are some of my drawings

54cc51ea943427af7d0d6cf393ab6a73.jpg

Reactions: 5 people