1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetic eye screening

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Kittycat_7_, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Kittycat_7_

Kittycat_7_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    I had my eyes screened on Tuesday, the optician was vile. He used his fingers to hold my eyes open and was fighting with me.
    To put the drops in.
    He said oh for gods sake.
    My eyes are still sore, my screening was okay.
    I won't be going back there again.
    Has anyone else had a bad experience?

2. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

No,.

All optometrists hold the eyelids open when putting drops in.

3. Kittycat_7_

Kittycat_7_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My mums doesn't, and nurses don't. He really hurt me.

4. BrianTheElder

BrianTheElder Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No, I had mine done today and he just said to hold my head back and look up. He didn't touch me at all.
    The drops sting, but that's what they tell you in advance.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

You can write to the Diabetic Eye Screening Programme for your area and make a complaint. They will have to investigate and respond to you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Maybe it depends on the shape of your eyes whether they have to hold them open or not.

I use the national eye screening service, not an optician, and can't recall if they hold mine open or not. I'm usually OK after a minute or so and don't suffer many after effects.

7. jwd1

jwd1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had my retinal eye test on Thursday, he did just hold my eyelid open but it didn't hurt at all. He seem more concerned with offring me wads of tissues to stop drips messing up my clothes.

8. scouse13

scouse13 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi. I regularly visit Inverclyde Royal Hosp Eye Clinic. Here the consultant avd his team always raise the eye lid when applying drops, always very gentle.
    Once in while I need to visit A & E at another nearby hosp the first line doctors here very heavy handed. Generally treatment is excellent.

9. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Did you go to an optician or to a proper retinal scan clinic. Both my husband and I go to a national eye screening clinic for ours never had a problem always gentle and the drops only sting for a second or two

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook