Diabetic eye screening

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,
I had my eyes screened on Tuesday, the optician was vile. He used his fingers to hold my eyes open and was fighting with me.
To put the drops in.
He said oh for gods sake.
My eyes are still sore, my screening was okay.
I won't be going back there again.
Has anyone else had a bad experience?

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi All,
I had my eyes screened on Tuesday, the optician was vile. He used his fingers to hold my eyes open and was fighting with me.
To put the drops in.
He said oh for gods sake.
My eyes are still sore, my screening was okay.
I won't be going back there again.
Has anyone else had a bad experience?
No, I had mine done today and he just said to hold my head back and look up. He didn't touch me at all.
The drops sting, but that's what they tell you in advance.

Reactions: Kittycat_7_

Dark Horse

You can write to the Diabetic Eye Screening Programme for your area and make a complaint. They will have to investigate and respond to you.

Reactions: Kittycat_7_

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe it depends on the shape of your eyes whether they have to hold them open or not.

I use the national eye screening service, not an optician, and can't recall if they hold mine open or not. I'm usually OK after a minute or so and don't suffer many after effects.

jwd1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my retinal eye test on Thursday, he did just hold my eyelid open but it didn't hurt at all. He seem more concerned with offring me wads of tissues to stop drips messing up my clothes.

scouse13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I regularly visit Inverclyde Royal Hosp Eye Clinic. Here the consultant avd his team always raise the eye lid when applying drops, always very gentle.
Once in while I need to visit A & E at another nearby hosp the first line doctors here very heavy handed. Generally treatment is excellent.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you go to an optician or to a proper retinal scan clinic. Both my husband and I go to a national eye screening clinic for ours never had a problem always gentle and the drops only sting for a second or two