DIABETIC FOODS

Can I weigh in on this topic?

Firstly, when I was first diagnosed I would often receive 'diabetic' chocolates and sweets for Christmas and birthdays - this was annoying. It was mainly annoying because as a type 1 diabetic, I have always carb counted and adjusted my insulin accordingly - I am a little ignorant of type 2 diabetes and understand it is controlled by food intake. I digress, the reason I would be annoyed is due to reading the carb content of said 'diabetic' products. Often the boiled sweets would be 99% Carbohydrate - what is the point in this?! I NEVER read the 'of which sugars' column on a label, ALWAYS the 'Total carbohydrate' column. This is because the 'of which sugars' column is irrelevant.

Secondly, it all tastes pretty rank - this is individual obviously, people like different things. I like cadburys, hersheys, all different kinds of chocolate (all of which 'normal' - whatever that means). But I also like rice, pasta, potatoes, fruit, etc etc. All of the items I have listed have carbs in, you can't make a carb-free strawberry, or a carb-free potato.

To sum up, I don't see a market for diabetic products. If you are diabetic, get some recipe books, figure out what raises your blood sugar ridiculously (for me it's cous cous, don't know why, but my bg goes CRAZY after I eat it, so I tend not to eat it). For type 1s, if you don't want to have to inject, eat less than 20g of carbs in a snack, or, hassle your diabetic nurses to the point where they give in and give you an insulin pump (this method was successful for me).

Finally, if you think this a fabulous gap in the food market then get together a business proposal and go on dragons den. I would personally like more labelling so I can carb count with more ease - for instance, on packets of biscuits it's SO much more helpful if they give you the carb content of an individual biscuit as well as per 100g. And, I would one day love to go to a restaurant where the carb content (approx) is available for each dish, but then that takes the fun out of guessing!

kkevans

hi people iam like all you were when you were first diagnosed, i have type 2.. pills and diet.
not worried. but iam just wondering if there is a 7 day meal planner i can use. to help combat this.
and i read the info on food packs,
but that is all alien to me, i understand to eat healthily, which i am doing.
like low fat yogurts salads fish beans, / low or no carbs.
but on some of the products the sugars seem quiet high. although supposedly low fat ect.
how or what is the best way to combat this ritual of food choice nightmare.
sorry i have had to put this as a reply but i cannot find where to post it.
any help will be appreciated thank you.

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
Hello kk. It just takes a bit of time and small-print reading. One thing to note is that generally "healthy" and low carb diets are not completely compatible. If you compare the fat and carb content of different versions of the same food, for example Hellman's mayonnaise, you find that as the fat content is reduced, the carb content increases. So I go for full-fat mayonnaise every time; the same principle holds true for many other foods: you will probably find that low fat yoghurt is loaded with sugar.

For any product, it's worth comparing all available brands to find the lowest carb option: for example, if you like British-style sausages, then Black Farmer premium pork sausages have only 1% carb (their other flavours have slightly more); other brands can have up to 10% carbs (or 900% more carbs, as a journalist would probably put it!).

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mpe

Sketcher said:
Hello kk. It just takes a bit of time and small-print reading. One thing to note is that generally "healthy" and low carb diets are not completely compatible. If you compare the fat and carb content of different versions of the same food, for example Hellman's mayonnaise, you find that as the fat content is reduced, the carb content increases. So I go for full-fat mayonnaise every time; the same principle holds true for many other foods: you will probably find that low fat yoghurt is loaded with sugar.

The so called "healthy diet" would be more accuratly called "very/ultra high carb". (With special emphesis on "poly-glucose".)
Thus it's hard to see how it can be "healthy" for diabetics in anything other than a sarcastic way.

For any product, it's worth comparing all available brands to find the lowest carb option: for example, if you like British-style sausages, then Black Farmer premium pork sausages have only 1% carb (their other flavours have slightly more); other brands can have up to 10% carbs (or 900% more carbs, as a journalist would probably put it!).

Lidl have "Milton Gate" pork sausages which are 1.7%, but likely to be considerably cheaper.

HJacobsen

Well, most foods are actually good for diabetics. I've been on the LCHF diet, which is basicly wonderful - if you're diabetic. It's actually something that was thought out more than 100 years ago - for diabetics.

But it's good for everybody. I'm not a diabetic myself, but I've found it to be a great lifestyle change -- and I've lost more than 50 pounds using this diet - therefore I'm so happy to spread the word about it - and it makes me feel so much better. You can read more about LCHF on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCHF. Or follow the Diet Doctor, which is a really great website, it's available here http://dietdoctor.com.

I've also been using the app called Diet Signal, which is available on the App Store https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/diet-si ... ?ls=1&mt=8. It helps me find which foods are great for LCHF, and if I follow LCHF my blood sugar is stable all day.

Have a great day,
Dennis