Diabetic friendly drinks?

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
Can anyone suggest diabetic friendly drinks? Not referring to alcohol ones.
I'm still having issues with sore gums from surgery and pureed foods are still too rough.
I have some protein powder but that is very limited. I have plant milk. I'm unable to drink regular milk nor do I like it.
I'm referring to strictly LIQUIDS not things like pudding or ice cream.
I don't drink or eat fruits either(not often ). Broth is gross.

Are there other things?

Last edited:

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good ol' water!
I've gone from never drinking water, even to take tablets, to only drinking water. With the exception of a large black coffee at night & very occasionally, a coffee with cream. Other than water, tea, coffee at home, bought drinks usually have additives or sweeteners, if you don't mind them, then sugarfree cordials or flavoured waters. Best to keep it simple really, even if boring.

Reactions: cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
To clarify my post
The liquids are to replace foods to reduce pain. Until it ever heals.

mouseee

I can only think to make a smoothie from safe veg and add a scoop of protein powder. I'd never normally suggest that but knowing that eating is tough for you, it could be a way of getting food into your stomach and the protein powder would perhaps help keep you fuller.
If you whizzed up your plant milk, protein powder and veg that might be palatable.

Reactions: cdpm and zand

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I can only think to make a smoothie from safe veg and add a scoop of protein powder. I'd never normally suggest that but knowing that eating is tough for you, it could be a way of getting food into your stomach and the protein powder would perhaps help keep you fuller.
If you whizzed up your plant milk, protein powder and veg that might be palatable.
I like cauliflower and recently found some on the reduced vege. rack and blanched and froze it. I need to use it before the freezer wrecks it.
I'm sure it would work in a drink as you mentioned.

May Mic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What about Boost or Ensure protein drinks. There is Glucerna, for diabetics.

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Broth. It is a bit of an art to make good broth, but if you are interested I can give you my technique.

Reactions: cdpm and filly

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good ol' water!
I've gone from never drinking water, even to take tablets, to only drinking water. With the exception of a large black coffee at night & very occasionally, a coffee with cream. Other than water, tea, coffee at home, bought drinks usually have additives or sweeteners, if you don't mind them, then sugarfree cordials or flavoured waters. Best to keep it simple really, even if boring.
But I do mostly drink carbonated water for my drinks. One or 2 coffees when I get up. And occasionally diet pop.

Reactions: jessj

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I just re-read your original post. You think broth is gross? Which aspect do you find gross?
Yes. But I've only ever tried those cubes with boiling water added. They are too salty.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What about Boost or Ensure protein drinks. There is Glucerna, for diabetics.
I get some with my $3 off coupons. I like glucerna best.

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes. But I've only ever tried those cubes with boiling water added. They are too salty.

Aha - ok, "cubes" are not "broth"
:)

So here is my technique. I"ll start with chicken broth which is the easiest. Note i'm no professional chef - so if you are a pro chef, please do not lambast me :p

This will be for a 'light' broth

1) Get deboned chicken carcases, or dark meat chicken (wings, thighs, drumsticks) including skin. Say 1kg
2) Put in a large pot with about 2l of water
3) Bring to the boil - let boil for about 3-4 minutes
4) Dump all this water and remove the chicken from the pot
5) Clean the pot of any residue/scum and re-fill with fresh water 3-4l or so.
6) Wash the meat. No, not with soap! Run the tap and pass each piece of meat under it while rubbing all over with your fingers to remove any residues/scum/sinues etc. Place each piece in the fresh pot of water after cleaning.
7) As you seem to not like salt, you can leave this out for now, or just add a small bit - maybe a tablespoon. You can always add more later
8) Add aromatics. This is a personal choice, but an onion cut in half, carrots, celery, bay leaves, whole peppercorns. It is up to you, or you can leave them all out if you like it plain.
9) Bring to just below a rolling boil, then put the heat on low. Not super low, but if your stove dial goes from one to 10, put it on 2. A low simmer
10) simmer for about 2-3 hours with the lid on If any scum forms on top, spoon it off.
11) Strain the broth out into a container. You can save the meat for something else - or feed it to your cat.
12) Let the broth cool down to room temperature - then put it in the fridge overnight.
13) In the morning, the fat will have solidified on top, you can scoop this out and either discard it or use it for cooking (it is delicious).

What you now have is "broth". It may be a bit murky - it can be clarified further, but that is a whole other story. Google 'consommé' if youa re interested in that, but it is extra work and involves using eggs whites.