Diabetic neuropathy / restless legs syndrome

garomaro

Hi all

does anybody have this problem??
i am a type 2 diabetes sufferer who is taking insulin (novomix 30) metaphormin and rouvastatin
the problem i am having is the pains in my legs and feet and to be honest it kills me at times i go to bed at night and my wife ends up black and blue in the morning as i have kicked her that many times lol
i have been given Amitriptyline and these did not work i have taken them for over two months
i have just been given a different drug called Gabapentin and will see if this works but yet again they will take at least three weeks to get into my system starting with one tablet a day for the first week then two tablets for the second and then three for the third bearing in mind these tablets can make you drowsy i am at a loose end to be honest as the pain in my legs and feet seems to be getting worse to the extent of at times i am feeling like i cant walk or move anywhere as my legs are in such pain
i was wondering if anyone has any advice for me or some sort of solution or even if someone is having simular symptoms

many thanks

C

catherinecherub

Hi garomaro,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your neuropathy and the tough time you are having. I will bump your post up so that a fellow sufferer may see it and offer some help.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi gomaro and welcome to the forum :)
I suffer from restless legs syndrome and have found Vein-Vine from Healthspan, which I take only when I have an attack, gives me almost instant relief. I don't suffer as badly as you do though.

cookiesmum

My eldest son is 39yrs old. He went to drs because he had terrible pains in his legs and feet. He was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. This would be about a year ago. Not sure what medi's he's on (not insulin) He is still in bad pain with his feet. He is going to see foot guy again next week. I remember him as a small child screaming with pain in his feet.I had him to Drs on several occasions, but was told there was nothing wrong with him. I'm now thinking has he had diabetes from childhood. He was labeled as hypo active and naughty as a child. He has suffered all his life with anxiety, up one minute down the next. My youngest son was diagnosed, 10 years ago when he was 21 with type 1, my sister diagnosed at 39 with type 2, my granddad was type 1. I don't feel as though they are helping my son with his leg pain, just giving him strong pain relief, which makes him very tired. But there again I don't know if there is anything they can do to help him. His diabetic nurse seems to think he has been undiagnosed for a long time. I'm now wondering, if this is the case how much damage could there be.

jacks69

I sypathise with you fully on the leg pain and restless legs. For the past 4 or 5 months i have been suffering with this problem. Sometimes it feels like i am dragging someone elses legs around with me - they feel so heavy and achy. Its always worse at nights and cause of the restlessness i dont get very restful sleep which just seems to add to the problem.
Plenty of rest helps and keeping the legs straight for a while before bed. I have been given dulexetine which was awful made me feel dopey all day but didnt do that much for my legs and now am just about to try the one u are taking.
I use ice gel on my calves sometimes before bed and that helps -one doc at my sugery thinks its neuropathy and only way to sort is to bring glucose levels under control but another doc there sent me for blood tests to check the enzymes in my blood as that can affect the muscles. If you find out anything better for a solution would be grateful if you would let me know

Sandbox

Dislikes
BREAKFEST
Ahh Fellow suffer yes i know this well like you i'm on Nerurontin 300mg 3x aday plus Miarpex 0.5mg the Mirapex is used more for RLS then Neurontin. Neurontin i sused generaly for nerve pain RLS is different form nerve pain check into it been on it for over 5 years RLS runs in my Family Diabettes does not go figure works much better

chrissy283

Hi there...i have the same problem with my restless legs..i feel like i have things crawling inside them and have to constantly shake them and kick out..sometimes it almost drives me mad (and my husband) lol...I find if i take a paracetamol before bed i settle a lot better and the restlessness is not so severe..they definatly help to relax them. I have never told my doctor about my legs so have never been offered anything for this condition. Hope this helps.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
To all you poor people suffering from Restless Leg syndrome, RLS, please, please go and see your doctor. There is help out there, I know because I have suffered with this horrible condition for years. I take 2 Ropinirole tablets 1 hour before bed, and this helps with the jerking and the horrible pulling sensation in my legs ( I also get it in my arms which I have to keep stretching and trying to keep them straight). About 18 months ago I started to get RLS during the day, last year, I ended up constantly walking about because my legs were constantly jerking/ a pulling sensation as soon as I started to sit down and be relaxed. I was trying to read books waking around my front room, not a good idea. I was so tired and depressed by the daytime RLS, because it would happen at the cinema, on a longer bus journey and day's out on the train :x I tried vitamins and got support stockings on perscription from my doctor because I didn't want to take anymore tablets, but nothing helped so I now take one 1mg Ropinirole ablet and one 0.5mg tablet during the afternoon. It's not 100% but I has helped, I would of gone crazy if it wasn't for Ropinirole. I was shaking my legs, rubbing my calves sore, bashing my legs with my fists to get rid of the sensations and just kept breaking down crying, it was that bad at times.

Your dr should do a blood test and then go on from there. You could be low in iron, I was and put on iron tablets, but that didn't help me I'm afraid. ( REQUIP) Ropinirole is often used to treat Parkinsons disease as well, but is not associated with RLS, it also contains Lactose. Good luck and I hope you get some peace, especially at bedtime :yawn:
ps just needed to add that I have Type 1, but if people do have RLS, it really doesn't matter what type you are. Best wishes :)