Diabetic neuropathy?

srm100841

For several years I have suffered what I can only describe as itchy feet and very occasionally fingers. Normally the problem with my feet occurs when I'm in bed and at rest. I suffer an uncontrollable itching within the feet which can last anywhere between a few minutes to half an hour or more. The sensation is within the feet and not on the surface. Scratching and rubbing does relieve the problem but only for seconds in that the sensation seems to be pulsing. The itching is so severe that it can wake me from deep sleep.

I wondered if anyone else had similar problems and if so whether a doctor had given a diagnosis. My own GP did on one occasion prescribe a course of medication but it didn't seem to do any good and I didn't feel too well after taking it. They were Amitriptyline Hydrochloride just for reference.

My BG control has been pretty good for the last 12 months (average 6.3) since I started a low carbohydrate diet but was between 10 and 11 for the previous 4 - 5 years. I have an inkling that the frequency of the bouts is marginally less than before but I wouldn't swear to this.

Steve

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
srm100841 said:
I wondered if anyone else had similar problems and if so whether a doctor had given a diagnosis. My own GP did on one occasion prescribe a course of medication but it didn't seem to do any good and I didn't feel too well after taking it. They were Amitriptyline Hydrochloride just for reference.Steve
Hi Steve, I have the same symptoms, I have noticed that when my BG levels are lower I don't get the itchy burning feeling in my hands and feet.
I was also put on amitripyline a few years ago as I had the same symptoms in my hands only. I was diagnosed with possible carpal tunnel syndrome, but this turned out not to be the cause. I was not diabetic when I had the symptoms. I believe the tingling in my hands was due to a trapped nerve in my neck, due to arthritis. I didn't find that the low dose of amitriptyline helped. The drug is supposed to lessen pain and is used in cases such as nerve pain in hands or with conditions such as sciatica.
srm100841 said:
My BG control has been pretty good for the last 12 months (average 6.3) since I started a low carbohydrate diet but was between 10 and 11 for the previous 4 - 5 years. I have an inkling that the frequency of the bouts is marginally less than before but I wouldn't swear to this.

Steve
Well done on getting your levels down. Is it possible to get it down any further? I have found that lower levels do help with the symptoms. My symptoms are mainly of a night time too.

srm100841

Thanks for the reply cocacola. Perhaps some others have had similar problems. We'll see. All useful intelligence.

Meanwhile I'm still trying to lower my readings (with partial success). I'd like to get the average below 6 but am not quite there yet. My last few readings have been in the low 5's but every so often I get an eccentric one close to 7. The highest readings are those taken before lunch and the lowest before dinner. Pre breakfast readings vary although they are mostly somewhere between the other two. Occasionally I get a high reading before breakfast when obviously I haven't eaten for quite a number of hours.

Steve

MichS

For several years I have suffered what I can only describe as itchy feet and very occasionally fingers. Normally the problem with my feet occurs when I'm in bed and at rest. I suffer an uncontrollable itching within the feet which can last anywhere between a few minutes to half an hour or more. The sensation is within the feet and not on the surface. Scratching and rubbing does relieve the problem but only for seconds in that the sensation seems to be pulsing. The itching is so severe that it can wake me from deep sleep.

I wondered if anyone else had similar problems and if so whether a doctor had given a diagnosis. My own GP did on one occasion prescribe a course of medication but it didn't seem to do any good and I didn't feel too well after taking it. They were Amitriptyline Hydrochloride just for reference.

Steve
Hey Steve

Steve
I came across this post (albeit made many years ago) and wondered if you have any tips on the itchy feet issue. Its driving me bonkers!!