Diabetic Nurse didnt Understand

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi all, thought I would let you all know how I got on yesterday at my 3 month review with diabetic nurse. She wasn't the diabetic nurse I usually see, the one I see is lovely and listens and seems to understand. This nurse really had an attitude, didn't listen to me properly, was asking me questions written on her note pad. Got off to a bad start as she asked me for a water sample [ didn't know I had to take one.] She then asked for the letter sent to me [ I never received one ] She said I would have had a letter so she looked in her diary [ Guess what I wasn't even in the book] She tried to cover this up by saying it was an oversight on the other diabetic nurses part. :eek: Next question off notepad Lets look at your 3 month BG results which were from 148 in Jan to now 54 she looked amazed but never asked me how I had achieved this, so I told her about this site, she said <Who told me to go on the site> I said the other diabetic nurse, she didn't even reply. :confused: I tried to tell her about the LCHF diet she didn't even reply

I showed her my diary with the daily BG readings, [ she glanced at them then asked < Why was I still testing? I didn't need to test anymore as Type 2s on Metformin will never have a Hypo and the Metformin are great for lowering B G levels !!!! GOT THE IMPRESSION SHE THOUGHT OH JUST TAKE THE TABLETS DIET DOESNT MATTER !!!!!! so I would probably not get a repeat prescription and if I wanted to carry on testing I could buy them of the internet >:wideyed: I told her my doc was happy for me to test 2-3 times a week, didn't even reply. Back to the notebook, next question, I will take your blood pressure and weigh you. Blood pressure fine [ I don't know how as at this moment in time I was livid. ] Weight good lost another 10lbs. Then this nurse said I needed to loose another 10lbs to get down to 62kg. [ I know she was only being informative but it was the attitude she had as though she knew all about being a Diabetic ] I only need to loose pounds she needed to loose stones Sorry about the sarcasm but I was so frustrated with her.
Then to put the top hat on it all I tried again to explain why I needed to keep testing my BG levels to see what foods I could tolerate, she didn't even seem to be interested at this point. What is going on why do some Diabetic [ proffessionals not listen ?
Have to go back in 3 months to see doctor will be asking questions.

I know a lot of people on here have had good discussions with their diabetic nurses [ I have had one with my normal nurse ] but this Diabetic Nurse wasn't one of them ] Came out and sat in car was so confused and frustrated more than anything. Unbelievable :wideyed::wideyed:

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
what's this business with her saying you shouldn't test? That sounds ridiculous to me. And saying you can't have a hypo on metformin is rubbish as I had my first hypo on metformin only and I've had plenty of hypos ever since. I know what a hypo is and how I react. I think she should be encouraging you to continue to test regularly. I'm sorry you had this experience... not good.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you get her name? There are 3 nurses in my surgery. I am slowly collecting their names, so I know to check who the appt will be with, and only talk to the one that treats me like a human being.

I intend to just keep booking and re-booking and changing appts til I get the nurse I want.

Reactions: 5 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Not wishing to sound flippant, but next time make sure you have the nurse you're comfortable with and not her

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think when to comes to nurses and dieticians the best way is to tell them what they want to hear which is not about LCHF then just go on doing what works for us I have never mentioned LCHF to my nurse and she has never told me to eat starchy carbs at every meal she is just happy that whatever I do is working and that my HbA1c is coming down which it is. Also I have never been weighed by my nurse but then I am skinny so she probably thinks I don't need any advice on loosing weight

Last edited by a moderator:

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
what's this business with her saying you shouldn't test? That sounds ridiculous to me. And saying you can't have a hypo on metformin is rubbish as I had my first hypo on metformin only and I've had plenty of hypos ever since. I know what a hypo is and how I react. I think she should be encouraging you to continue to test regularly. I'm sorry you had this experience... not good.
HI Mep, Its sounds ridiculous to me to, glad you told me about the hypos, no it was not good at all and I will be telling my GP in 3 months that I am not at all happy with her.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Did you get her name? There are 3 nurses in my surgery. I am slowly collecting their names, so I know to check who the appt will be with, and only talk to the one that treats me like a human being.

I intend to just keep booking and re-booking and changing appts til I get the nurse I want.
Hi Brunneria, yes I did ask her name and I will be asking to see my normal diabetic nurse next time and I will be telling her about the unprofessional approach to diabetes I received from the one I saw yesterday in dealing with diabetes. Thank you.

Reactions: 4 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I think when to comes to nurses and dieticians they best way is to tell them what they want to hear which is not about LCHF then just go on doing what works for us I have never mentioned LCHF to my nurse and she has never told me to eat starchy carbs at every meal she is just happy that whatever I do is working and that my HbA1c is coming down which it is.
Hi yes sounds like the diabetic nurse I usually see.

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly I think we've all had experiences like that at some point or another.

I think I get them more regularly than most as I have total hospital phobia and have become a quivering wreck by the time I get to see any HCP and they take it very personally :rolleyes:

I'll just echo the advice above, tell them what they want to hear, nod and smile and try to make sure you never have to see that individual again.

Typicaltwo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Royalty, Religion, Gardening, Baking, Piston heads, vegans
The NHS, medical professionals, nutritionists, dietitians, school staff et al have all been influenced (indoctrinated) by the government's Eatwell guide (formerly the Eatwell Plate) since 1994. This is produced on the governments behalf by The British Nutrition Foundation (BNF). This is the governments 'go to' organisation for dietary advice. Just follow this link to see who the BNF's members are. Not the best advertisement for healthy eating.
https://www.nutrition.org.uk/aboutbnf/supporters/memberorganisations.html

Reactions: 6 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @amgrundy
What an amazing reduction in HbA1c 145 down to 54 since January. Well done. You know that is based on your hard work and working with your meter. You understand what is happening and it is hard to understand how the nurse doesn't. They probably don't see many success stories and not sure how to react. My own GP said he had never come across a diabetic with an HbA1c of 33 but many on here have done even better. My suggestion to you is to keep going and keep control by testing.
Well done, brilliant result.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The NHS, medical professionals, nutritionists, dietitians, school staff et al have all been influenced (indoctrinated) by the government's Eatwell guide (formerly the Eatwell Plate) since 1994. This is produced on the governments behalf by The British Nutrition Foundation (BNF). This is the governments 'go to' organisation for dietary advice. Just follow this link to see who the BNF's members are. Not the best advertisement for healthy eating.
https://www.nutrition.org.uk/aboutbnf/supporters/memberorganisations.html
Says it all really.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi @amgrundy
What an amazing reduction in HbA1c 145 down to 54 since January. Well done. You know that is based on your hard work and working with your meter. You understand what is happening and it is hard to understand how the nurse doesn't. They probably don't see many success stories and not sure how to react. My own GP said he had never come across a diabetic with an HbA1c of 33 but many on here have done even better. My suggestion to you is to keep going and keep control by testing.
Well done, brilliant result.
Thank you, what I forgot to mention was the diabetic nurse said that 54 was good but they like it being under 53?????? I thought it was much lower than that. Didn't like to say anything to her. My BMI in Jan was 36 I was 12st 4lbs she says that was classed as obese, and now BMI 26 11st 2lbs she says they like it to be under 25 and now I am classed as overweight. All this is new to me.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I am asked what I did to get my numbers down ... I just reply that they don't want to know .. And the nurse agrees ..she doesn't want to know ! Then they take my BP that through the roof as I am not happy with my dbn.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, what I forgot to mention was the diabetic nurse said that 54 was good but they like it being under 53?????? I thought it was much lower than that. Didn't like to say anything to her. My BMI in Jan was 36 I was 12st 4lbs she says that was classed as obese, and now BMI 26 11st 2lbs she says they like it to be under 25 and now I am classed as overweight. All this is new to me.

53 is the usual NHS target for type 2s diagnosed with a much higher number. Not many ever get under the magic 48 to take them out of the diabetes range.

Normal BMI is 18 to 24. Overweight is 25 to 30. Obese is over 30.

Your weight loss and reduction in HbA1c is spectacular. :)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
53 is the usual NHS target for type 2s diagnosed with a much higher number. Not many ever get under the magic 48 to take them out of the diabetes range.

Normal BMI is 18 to 24. Overweight is 25 to 30. Obese is over 30.

Your weight loss and reduction in HbA1c is spectacular. :)
Thank you for the info and your reply. means a lot.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@amgrundy - You have done fantastic Arlene, we all know how hard you have worked on your diet and your weight loss and reduction in your HBA1C is brilliant. :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, thought I would let you all know how I got on yesterday at my 3 month review with diabetic nurse. She wasn't the diabetic nurse I usually see, the one I see is lovely and listens and seems to understand. This nurse really had an attitude, didn't listen to me properly, was asking me questions written on her note pad. Got off to a bad start as she asked me for a water sample [ didn't know I had to take one.] She then asked for the letter sent to me [ I never received one ] She said I would have had a letter so she looked in her diary [ Guess what I wasn't even in the book] She tried to cover this up by saying it was an oversight on the other diabetic nurses part. :eek: Next question off notepad Lets look at your 3 month BG results which were from 148 in Jan to now 54 she looked amazed but never asked me how I had achieved this, so I told her about this site, she said <Who told me to go on the site> I said the other diabetic nurse, she didn't even reply. :confused: I tried to tell her about the LCHF diet she didn't even reply

I showed her my diary with the daily BG readings, [ she glanced at them then asked < Why was I still testing? I didn't need to test anymore as Type 2s on Metformin will never have a Hypo and the Metformin are great for lowering B G levels !!!! GOT THE IMPRESSION SHE THOUGHT OH JUST TAKE THE TABLETS DIET DOESNT MATTER !!!!!! so I would probably not get a repeat prescription and if I wanted to carry on testing I could buy them of the internet >:wideyed: I told her my doc was happy for me to test 2-3 times a week, didn't even reply. Back to the notebook, next question, I will take your blood pressure and weigh you. Blood pressure fine [ I don't know how as at this moment in time I was livid. ] Weight good lost another 10lbs. Then this nurse said I needed to loose another 10lbs to get down to 62kg. [ I know she was only being informative but it was the attitude she had as though she knew all about being a Diabetic ] I only need to loose pounds she needed to loose stones Sorry about the sarcasm but I was so frustrated with her.
Then to put the top hat on it all I tried again to explain why I needed to keep testing my BG levels to see what foods I could tolerate, she didn't even seem to be interested at this point. What is going on why do some Diabetic [ proffessionals not listen ?
Have to go back in 3 months to see doctor will be asking questions.

I know a lot of people on here have had good discussions with their diabetic nurses [ I have had one with my normal nurse ] but this Diabetic Nurse wasn't one of them ] Came out and sat in car was so confused and frustrated more than anything. Unbelievable :wideyed::wideyed:
If she was having to work from a notebook, it suggests to me that perhaps she isn't actually a "proper" trained diabetic nurse but a stand in, and her bad attitude was due to her feeling completely out of her depth and defensive. Not that this was any justification at all for her dreadful behaviour but it might be an explanation for it.

You know what you've achieved so ignore her and be proud of yourself.

Robbity