DIABETIC REFUSED SUGARY DRINK

Shax72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
tartanbee

........No offence intended at all.... but dont spend your time looking at text books and quoting DAFNE.......Every Diabetic (All 350 Million worldwide) ARE different. Folks will always know what works for them and thats the way it is !!!!!!! You tend to trust what works the quickest and most effective - Hypos are not nice things to happen - My 3 year old girl has a look of deep concern when I have them with her around..... bless her heart, let alone my lovely lady who puts up with me being erratic, moody, vague and a whole host of other symptoms - most of which I am not aware of. And then theres the rebound thing !!!!!!! Ohh and Ive been type 1 since 1983.

Margi

shax, I agree, we are all different and respond to different amounts of things in different circumstances. No argument there. But I think it is a universal fact that liquid sugar gets into the blood stream quicker than solid sugar mixed with fat. Just a useful thing to know for those who don't have your experience (or mine!).

I've experimented with many different hypo treatments over the years and I think the orange juice one that DAFNE recommended is the best one I've come across, for me that is. I hated admitting it because I thought I knew better, but after trying them for a while, I had to concede.

In the beginning I went from glucose tablets which were the recommended thing of the day (1975 diagnosis) and I've explained why they didn't work for me already; to lucozade (too fizzy to drink quick enough - I can't gulp fizzy drinks); Mars bars - I started putting too much weight on so went to... Ribena, ready mixed. I'm sure I've used loads of other stuff. Oh! The best one was golden syrup when my children were small. My three year old(s) loved it when I went hypo because they would get the treacle pot with two spoons: one for me and one for him (whichever him was running the errand). Now I just keep orange juice cartons everywhere I go. In both cars, in my bedroom, in my hand bag, in the tack room, my bum bag, in the kitchen, and God help the son who nicks them so there aren't enough left.

Sorry guys, just musing on history there.

Tartanbee, I agree with you too, but I have found something about stress. It can lower or raise your blood sugar unpredictably. I think of it as a crazy guy leaping from one end of the seesaw to the other while you try to keep both ends off the ground. And you never know which way he's going to leap. Stress produces adrenalin, we know that of course, but sometimes things which caused stress yesterday manage not to today, so the exact same level of activity might need more insulin on the stressy day and less the next. We can't predict the adrenalin level the stress produces. It's the wild card in the whole d***d equation. Unless anyone knows different and can come up with any way of predicting the so and so. :?:

spideog

Have had a copper go and steal a bottle of Lucozade from a shop for me when I collapsed on the street before, they then go a seat for me to sit on from the security guy at another shop and left me to it.

a88ie

im sorry but if they did that to me id just steal it... not worth the hospitsl trip because of some jobsworth and 15pence. i dont normally steal but she should have just walked out with it i would have, then take them there measly 15p... disgusting behaviour..

hails

Cineworld did a similar thing to me.

I watched a late film and felt hypo, tested and I was quite low. I went out to the foyer and asked to buy a bottle of coke. They told me they had cashed up and couldnt serve me. I explained that I was having a hypo and that I needed something sugary to get me back up. They looked at me like an idiot and just responsded 'We have cashed up you will have to go to Tesco!'

Tesco - is 5 mins walk, it was 10pm and ark outside and I was by myself!

I explained that I wouldnt be able to walk to Tescos as I may go lower and if i collapse I will be by myself. They continued to look at me like I was trying to take the mick.

I then said just take the money and put it through tomorrow. Nope...they wouldnt have it.

I caught a manager walking past and explained what was going on. He offered me a cup of water!!!!!! I was shaking my little boots off and was feelin awful and the tears came! He looked at the others and said ' Just give her a little bit. A LITTLE bit they gave me - about two fingers amount in the bottom of a plastic cup. I mean I wasnt asking for a freebie - I was willing to pay and yet they werent willing to help me at all!

needless to say I lodged a complaint with the head office - although I dont feel I was taken seriously!

Alliballi

Had the same thing happen to me last year.....I had left my car to pop to the end of the road to post a letter, and whilst going back i came over all shaky and knew I was having a hypo. No shops open but I noticed a charity shop(Martlets) lights on. :D A lady was at the counter and as the door was locked I knocked the door and asked her if she could help me as I was diabetic and needed a sugary drink...She looked up and totally ignored me.. My hypo was now getting bad,and I was crying and shouting at her to please help me, which she continued to ignore me...I knew she could hear me.. I then fell down and leaned against the door and was slumped and sobbing!! A lot of people walked by me and ignored me....The next thing the police arrived and hauled me up quite aggressively...They asked me my name but I couldn't answer and thankfully my Mum arrived as she was waiting in the car for me and wondered why I was taking so long to post a letter. She explained to the police that I was a diabetic.They then changed their tune a bit and told us that the woman in the shop had called them to say she was being harassed by someone drunk or on drugs!!! :shock: After a sugary drink, I explained to the police I was telling her I was a diabetic, and just asking for some sugar, and the fact she ignored my plea, and that my blood sugar was getting lower, was actually making my attitude get worse...and that I found it unbelievable that she couldn't just come to the door and be a decent "charitable" human being and just say she couldn't open the door for security reasons but she would get me some help. The police were sympathetic and said in future if ever this happened again its best not to bang on doors of closed shops! :?

What with all the passers by ignoring me too, maybe it would have been best to lay flat out on the pavement and hope someone would have called 999....But more than likely they would have just stepped over me thinking I was paralytic!!! Sad old world really isn't it, as having a hypo is embarrassingly bad enough without the majority not even asking if you are okay, and just assuming you're drunk or on drugs! :oops:

Margi

The public need educating. If TV programmes featured hypos being treated instead of diabetics being ill because they need insulin, we might get somewhere. Next time a TV show does that I think I'll write in and complain. It's dangerous because is perpetuates the myth that diabetic people can't eat sugar. A friend told me years ago that every time I eat a Mars bar will take a year off my life - because of my diabetes. Of course she might be right with the amount of fat in those things, but her knowledge of diabetes was awful and she never really learnt no matter how much I tried to teach her. And that was a clever lady with two degrees and more: it's staggering how ignorant the world seems to want to be.

Maybe the Beeb could put on some of those educational shorts they do, to teach people about treating hypos. Better a few drunks get mistaken for someone having a hypo than a hypo being mistaken for a drunk. In the days when the police could chuck you in a cell overnight for being 'drunk and disorderly' people sometimes died.

Sorry, ranting again. It makes me so mad that the media that should know better keep on convincing people of the falsehoods.