Diabetic Retinopathy >>> fenofribrate

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read on a Birmingham patient website (that I cannot now find) that all patients with retinopathy should be given fenfibrate in addition to a statin. That seems to be supported by academic sites.

Tomorrow I have my visit to the diabetic nurse and will get a smack if I tell her that I have been Googling again.

Has anyone been given fenofibrate?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't take this drug but have good cholesterol levels, however I did get started on a low-dose bp medication (Ramipril) soon after I was diagnosed with diabetic retinopathy.

They do advise that bg, bp and cholesterol levels should be kept under control with diabetic retinopathy, here is the website your referring to @sterling

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/Information_for_patients.html

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I don't take this drug either but I shall make enquiries at my next endocrinologist appointment.

and a smack off the DSN sounds great :D:D

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have diabetic retinopathy and I was told that I needed laser treatment. I was really scared by that and wanted to wait six months and see how it went. Next hospital visit showed that it had almost gone. In the meantime I had been eating only additive free organic and wild food and low carbing. Consultant thinks that the more you help your body heal, the more it will try. He had seen it happen before, but not often.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tomorrow I have my visit to the diabetic nurse and will get a smack if I tell her that I have been Googling again.

That made me chuckle - I bet the medical profession hates Google!!

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In a recent speech, Jeremy Hunt encouraged people to search the internet. IMO people who are more invested in their health are more likely to see better results and my consultant actually said that.