Diabetic Retinopathy screening

delphi

Thanks for the responses. The nhs letter says 3weeks for results so perhaps you would get treated there and then if it was deemed an emergency (in eye terms ?).

There's a big eye test centre / opticians in central London who boast about the issues they've spotted so perhaps I'll give them a visit /call armed with this information.

Infuriating to pay so much to bupa and not to be able to make use of it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

skhwoody

I can't understand why anyone would opt out, i know it's a little uncomfortable but its free, its for your own good to catch problems before they get worse, and getting this disease was bad enough, i could not bear to think what mental hardship people go through from losing their sight.

sassywriter43

If for some reason you cannot have eye drops ( allergic reactions in the past) then please do tell them. I came clean about the whole of my medical history, I had to. And I was offered screening without eye drops.

Please don't say, you have to have eye drops, I couldn't because I already have severe photophobia, and the only eye drops I can tolerate is tears naturale for dry eyes.

Mine came back clear. It really is nothing to worry about and takes about 20 - 30 minutes.

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
stevie24 said:
Hi All,
Also does anybody know the chances of developing eye problems as a type one that the screening will pick up? I am considering opting out to be honest so just wondered about this stuff before making an informed decision,

This link shows the answer to your question about "the chances of developing eye problems" ..... it shows the relationship with the HbA1C level. You should be able to make an informed decision having read this ...... and the answer is .. "do it".

http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/easdec/prevent ... opathy.htm

Jonty

stevie24

Thanks very much Jonty, very informative information on that link there, I am going to call and make my appointment shortly, thanks all for the info :D

stevie24

Thanks all for the support and advice regarding this, I had the test today and wasn't unpleasant at all, waiting for results now....touch wood :D

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
All I can say is that I've been type 1 for over 50 years and the diabetic screen has picked up some issues but not the numerous floaters and when I questioned this they just replied they don't deal with background eye problems.. Strange.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App