Diabetic Retinopathy.

KathyGardiner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got diagnosed in Jan 2016. I had my first eye screening. I git the results and it says that I have some signs of diabetic retinopathy and that my retina has changed as a result of my diabetes. What should I do? Should I be worried?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Kinda depends - can you recall if they actually referred to it as mild retinopathy? This often sorts itself out once you get your blood glucose under control (now there's a motive !).

In more advanced forms of retinopathy, the damage can be lasting.

Last edited by a moderator:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
It just says that I have some signs and that my retina has been offected. My blood sugars are in control now have random lows

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Hi, sounds good but by control I was referring to keeping levels down. If you're keeping out of double figures you might get lucky and be given the all clear at your next eye test.

Dark Horse

If you were told that you would be invited back in a year for another screening, it is likely that you have background retinopathy. This does not need treatment and does not affect your vision.
  • Maintaining good blood glucose control reduces the risk of progression.
  • Attending eye screening regularly increases the chances of any more significant changes being picked up at an early stage when treatment is most effective.

Reactions: 2 people

Hazza1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kathy,

I was in the same boat as yourself, i was uncontrolled for a good 4 years and then managed to get myself under control. Thankfully since doing that i have been able to reverse the majority of damage i had done!! :)

Cheers
Harry