Diabetic Retinopathy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Heeey,

I'm currently receiving aggressive treatment for end stage prolific diabetic retinopathy.

I attended my appointment today for laser on both eyes but the Dr struggled to do much because there was so much blood. I just feel so frustrated because I know how important the treatment is to me keeping what vision I have, yet when I go they're unable to do it. I feel as though I'm trying to get things under control and getting nowhere.

Anyone else had this happen to them?

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I had two big bleeds after a rather rough Ringo ride in Turkey. They will laser what they can now and finish the job as the blood clears. I was quite lucky as there was no central vision impact. I had one more bleed a couple of months later but nothing since though still got stuff floating about and reduced night vision. Simple advice take paracetamol before laser sessions and really try and get on top of the BGs so that you dont have to do this again once this is sorted.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I attended my appointment today for laser on both eyes but the Dr struggled to do much because there was so much blood.

Did the Ophthalmologist mention the possibility of you having a vitrectomy operation, when there's repeated and severe bleeding into the vitreous gel of the eye a vitrectomy op is often recommended as there's is a risk of retinal detachment, here is some information on what a vitrectomy operation involves:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/vitreous_hemorrhage.html

If at some point a vitrectomy is suggested please don't worry as it has a high success rate. Good luck.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did the Ophthalmologist mention the possibility of you having a vitrectomy operation, when there's repeated and severe bleeding into the vitreous gel of the eye a vitrectomy op is often recommended as there's is a risk of retinal detachment, here is some information on what a vitrectomy operation involves:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/vitreous_hemorrhage.html

If at some point a vitrectomy is suggested please don't worry as it has a high success rate. Good luck.

Hiiiii,

Yes, victretomy surgery has been mentioned as a last resort if injections don't seem to improve things. I have another laser appointment Thursday and an appointment with the consultant next week, although he said if i needed the surgery it wouldn't be until early next year! Just hoping the injections are enough to keep things at bay. I, however, am not feeling too hopeful about that at the minute.

Reactions: Pramod85

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hiiiii,

Yes, victretomy surgery has been mentioned as a last resort if injections don't seem to improve things. I have another laser appointment Thursday and an appointment with the consultant next week, although he said if i needed the surgery it wouldn't be until early next year! Just hoping the injections are enough to keep things at bay. I, however, am not feeling too hopeful about that at the minute.

Try and think positively and see what the New Year brings, hopefully the surgery won't be necessary.

Do keep us updated on your progress @LittleMissGinge , good luck.

Reactions: himtoo

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I found the injections were a great help so fingers crossed they'll help you too. The best thing is obviously getting those levels under control though - I managed to get my HbA1c from 13% down to 8% (still could do with getting it lower!) and am now just having 'top up' injections every few months and having no vision problems. Keep on keeping on x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got another appointment for injections on the 26th January, apparently they'll do them both on that day (I didn't think they'd do both eyes on the same day?!). But my vision test shows they've both improved and have 6/9 vision in both. This also means I can finally get back to work after being off since October! Seems like things are finally getting better. Thanks for the support guys

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had loads of bilateral jabs, and you'll be fine. The jnjections have cleared my Retinopathy completely. No bleeds, no dots. But unfortunately the Edema keeps returning, so the injections are ongoing.
Would like to know if anyone is using the Nocturnal mask for Edema (oedema) only. Not for retinopathy.