Diabetic Retinopathy

Sassco

Hi, I was recently diagnosed with the beginning of diabetic retinopathy but was told it was in very early stage & not to worry about it!!! I was told nothing can be done now except to better control my levels (which is being done now with insulin, tablets, diet & exercise). Does this mean it can't be sorted until it's worse? Could I go blind? Anyone know?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Non-proliferative retinopathy isn't likely to daamage your sight. It's always listed as not needing any treatment. In any case Laser treatment isn't a CURE. It damages the bit of the retina that is being treated weakening it. Keep your blood glucose and blood pressure in the NORMAL rangge and you won't have any trouble
Hana

Sassco

Hi Hana thanks for your advice. I'm certainly trying to keep my blood sugar low - my blood pressure has never been a problem.

Geemikey

I was told i had that too in January, due to get my eyes checked again in January so will see if it's any better or not.

Sassco

Hi geemikey hope you have good news. I was told 3 weeks ago there's a marked improvement since my last visit (Feb). Wish you luck. X

dwibley

As previously stated, good control is key. I had retinopathy in both eyes about 7 years ago which led to blood leakage in both eyes. It required a vitrectomy in one eye which wasn't a pleasant experience but since then have kept really good glucose levels and haven't had any problems since.