Approved Diabetic retinopathy

Forbesspeaks

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all,

I've spent years working close to healthcare and in preventative nutrition. Lately, I've been discussing diabetic retinopathy with my colleagues and was astounded to learn it is the leading cause of blindness in working age adults. 90% of type 1 diabetics will develop some form of retinopathy within 10 years of diabetic symptoms, but it remains hidden for years, unless regular eye tests are taken. I'm sure most, if not all, of you are aware of this and it's mainly ignorance on my part, but I'm keen to find out how people feel about it.

It goes without saying that there are many symptoms and health complications to worry about with diabetes. I am keen to know how high a priority eye health is with diabetics, type 1 and 2.

- Do you think the healthcare industry does enough to promote awareness around diabetic retinopathy?
- Is eye health given the priority is deserves by patients and healthcare professionals? Are charities doing enough? I know Diabetes UK have some info, but it's not high profile. Fight For Sight are contributing to eye research, and supporting innovations in eye care #BlinkWinkThink. Is this enough?
- Is anyone going through treatment and how are they finding it? Laser? Injections? OLED eye mask therapy?
- Is anyone seeking prevention, rather than waiting to be treated once DR advances?

Since I'm involved in healthcare communications, I'd like to see if I can create a health awareness campaign for diabetic retinopathy, so any comments and feedback on this matter would be welcome. I will be going to other sources too, but I think the contributions to these forums are excellent, and there is so much insight and passion to be shared.

Thanks in advance :)

Dean