Diabetic Sweets

Saimalicious

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all. Has anyone tried the Boots 'no added sugar' diabetic range of sweets, chocolate and biscuits? Is it all a gimmick or worth a treat once in a while? Its loaded with sweetners so not good? Interested to know your thoughts. My eyes lit up when I was in Boots yesterday and saw the chocolate bars calling me under the 'diabetic' label on the shelf lol.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Waste of money, the advice is not to buy these products, if you do just be careful as the sweeteners can have a laxative effect.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
My favourite are the humbugs, if my levels have been good all day I allow myself ONE after my dinner. The fact is all sweets have carbs in the form of sugar/sugar substitutes

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Cannot remember specifics but I am given to understand that sugar replacements used are not good - I imagine in long term use. Personally I find so called 'diabetic sweets etc' are overly sweet - also costly. Small amounts of dark chocolate are a better way to go. Emphasis on small amounts ie a square or two - once in a while. As you can see, by my forum name , I am a chocolate lover

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Green & Black thins my personal love, caution 70% use sparingly

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I tried some of the Boots 'No Added Sugar' sweets. The Mint Humbugs were ok, but I prefer the Sula ones. The Caramel Drops (less than 3gms of carbs per sweet) are ok too. I like the Chocolate Caramels most (3.5gms of carbs each), but I have to be careful not to eat more than a couple - I ate the whole 75g pack once.

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have Lindt 85% cocoa dark chocolate. A piece or two a day fits in nicely with my very low carb higher fat diet as it's a nice extra source of fat for me, and cocoa is supposed to have various health benefits too. :D

Robbity

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use the m&s sugar free sweets or just buy a small amount of normal chocolate. I looked at the boots range but was put off as they're no better than anything else - In fact in my opinion they're worse. Full of artificial chemicals and carbs are still sky high.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Not chocolate, but I do enjoy Sainsburys' no added sugar marshmallows once in a while.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Green & Blacks it is then.

If you have a sweet tooth and enjoy chocolate then try Lidl's 70% Dark Chocolate with Caramel, it's absolutely delicious and works out at 5g of carbs a square (the squares are rather large mind).

pshawfocus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
^^ So is Aldi's White chocolate.

I ignore wrapping headlines, because 'no added sugar' never means 'no carb'. I check the carb content of almost everything I buy.

I got in touch with Pret a Manger because their in store labels perpetuate the 'no sugar = good' myth. Their large sandwiches are labelled as zero or <5g sugar on the shelf nutritional info, so an ill informed diabetic might gobble them down in the assumption they'll not raise BG. Which is of course utter nonsense.

Pret said they were looking at it but no change yet. It needs to be done in conjunction with (simple?!) public education and nobody seems to have that at the top of their list of priorities.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well I'm sitting here with a 100g bar of Lindt 90% cocoa dark chocolate nutritional info:

per 100g

592 Calories,Fat 55g of which saturates 30g ,Carbohydrates 14g ,of which sugars 7g , and proteins 10g salt 0.03g

I can't tell you what it tastes like because I haven't had the courage to open it yet.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yup just had a piece very nice I've always preferred dark chocolate from when I was a kid. Wife likes it daughter is afraid of it.:)

mud_shark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well I'm sitting here with a 100g bar of Lindt 90% cocoa dark chocolate nutritional info:

per 100g

592 Calories,Fat 55g of which saturates 30g ,Carbohydrates 14g ,of which sugars 7g , and proteins 10g salt 0.03g

I can't tell you what it tastes like because I haven't had the courage to open it yet.

I'm a huge fan of the 90%. It's the sweet I permit myself from time to time. Such a wonderful and complex flavour. You do need to work up to it though. Start with 70%, then 85% and so on.