Diabetics R Us

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,
I had a very busy week volunteering so fell into bed at 8:30 pm yesterday. I slept sooooo well and didn't get up until 9am today so I must have really needed it! I've done a bit of gardening today but it is now tipping down so I'm going to read a book my son lent me. Hungry and can't wait for dinner! I've got salmon and a few new potatoes with salad. Hope it's drier tomorrow.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I'm going to mess up tonight and eat pizza. Yes, I know about all kinds of fancy low carb alternatives to pizza, but they all miss that one thing I love about pizza: take it out of the freezer, unwrap, add some cheese and garlic and shove in the oven. If I wanted to go through making dough, adding sauce and toppings etc. I could just as well cook a sensible dinner, couldn't I?

Still not sure, though. I'm known for going to the kitchen to cook and coming back with a completely different meal than I'd planned. Not sure if I'll mess up either, who knows, I might get it right with pizza and insulin this time :)

Reactions: Cumberland

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I think I'm going to mess up tonight and eat pizza. Yes, I know about all kinds of fancy low carb alternatives to pizza, but they all miss that one thing I love about pizza: take it out of the freezer, unwrap, add some cheese and garlic and shove in the oven. If I wanted to go through making dough, adding sauce and toppings etc. I could just as well cook a sensible dinner, couldn't I?

Still not sure, though. I'm known for going to the kitchen to cook and coming back with a completely different meal than I'd planned. Not sure if I'll mess up either, who knows, I might get it right with pizza and insulin this time :)

Salmon Pasta Bake for us
Enjoy your Pizza

Reactions: karen8967

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Not sure if this counts as a fail or a win, but I ended up spending half an hour in the kitchen chopping and frying garlic (lots), red pepper, bacon, onions and bell pepper (my apologies, guinea-piggies, that bell pepper was to be your breakfast), a tomato and some sun dried tomatoes and grating cheese and my thumb to make a sensible omelet to go on a slice of low carb bread.

Now I'm sure my diabetes will thank me for this, but I don't like it that the reason I did is that spending half an hour in the kitchen is simply less work than shoving a pizza in the oven and keeping a hawk eye on bg for the next 6 hours, correcting, split bolusing and trying to keep track of insulin on board. I just wanted to eat pizza, not all this b******t that comes along with it...

(Rant over. Don't ask, because I don't keep track, but it might be time for my next period. That was the problem the last time I felt sorry for myself. I'm 41 and I do not want children. I never even wanted to be a woman. So can we just get this over with?)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure if this counts as a fail or a win, but I ended up spending half an hour in the kitchen chopping and frying garlic (lots), red pepper, bacon, onions and bell pepper (my apologies, guinea-piggies, that bell pepper was to be your breakfast), a tomato and some sun dried tomatoes and grating cheese and my thumb to make a sensible omelet to go on a slice of low carb bread.

Now I'm sure my diabetes will thank me for this, but I don't like it that the reason I did is that spending half an hour in the kitchen is simply less work than shoving a pizza in the oven and keeping a hawk eye on bg for the next 6 hours, correcting, split bolusing and trying to keep track of insulin on board. I just wanted to eat pizza, not all this b******t that comes along with it...

(Rant over. Don't ask, because I don't keep track, but it might be time for my next period. That was the problem the last time I felt sorry for myself. I'm 41 and I do not want children. I never even wanted to be a woman. So can we just get this over with?)
Now, I'm still not over it, but at least I've been giggling for the past 20 minutes as I found this whole new look at life : "I'm too lazy for all the work that comes with shoving a cheap pizza in the oven and eating it, so I'll just cook a sensible meal instead."
:p :p :p

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Took me ages to figure out that home cooked food is just so much nicer than shop bought.... except for jaffa cakes. :rolleyes:
I already knew, but it still itches I can't just not care some days and eat something like pizza, or ready made pasta or whatever. Sometimes food isn't necessarily about quality but more a necessity to not be hungry. Sometimes it's just indulging in things like pizza or chips or a whole bag of crisps. I do not need that every week, but once a month would be nice. Without the next six hours of work, that is.

Luckily I'm not familiar with jaffa-cakes, so they don't bother me at all!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I already knew, but it still itches I can't just not care some days and eat something like pizza, or ready made pasta or whatever. Sometimes food isn't necessarily about quality but more a necessity to not be hungry. Sometimes it's just indulging in things like pizza or chips or a whole bag of crisps. I do not need that every week, but once a month would be nice. Without the next six hours of work, that is.

Luckily I'm not familiar with jaffa-cakes, so they don't bother me at all!

I agree wholeheartedly. Sometimes food is just something to fill a void. N.B My advice would be to never experiment with McVities Jaffa Cakes unless you are hypoing and there isn't anything else in the house!

Reactions: Cumberland