Diabetics R Us

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes my family tree on ancesty . com goes through my fathers maternal line only very fustrating as there is no one now who can give me any info and dad would not discuss it ever.

Same here. I realised when I was 16 that my dad's mum had never married, although she wore a wedding ring and referred to herself as Mrs. even on official documents. She lived with us for several years at that time, and being a brazen teenager I asked her who dad's father was. All she said was, and I quote, "the bug*er went off to war and never came back". That was of course the first war. Then she started to cry and told me how embarrassed she was when my dad told her he was going to marry my mum, so she walked all the way to my mum's house to explain matters to mum's parents. I have since discovered from a cousin of my dad that my dad was not told his mum was unmarried, believing his father had died when he was a baby. Grandma had to tell him the truth when he enlisted for the army in 1939. He was 24 years old! Apparently he was never told the man's name, and nor were any relatives that were alive for me to ask. All I discovered was the father was married with a daughter and an invalid wife, and was the son of a "significant" person in the small community where they lived, possibly a mill owner/manager or similar. Grandma took the secret to her grave ....... and I have done everything possible to uncover it, without success.

Reactions: Cumberland

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Same here. I realised when I was 16 that my dad's mum had never married, although she wore a wedding ring and referred to herself as Mrs. even on official documents. She lived with us for several years at that time, and being a brazen teenager I asked her who dad's father was. All she said was, and I quote, "the bug*er went off to war and never came back". That was of course the first war. Then she started to cry and told me how embarrassed she was when my dad told her he was going to marry my mum, so she walked all the way to my mum's house to explain matters to mum's parents. I have since discovered from a cousin of my dad that my dad was not told his mum was unmarried, believing his father had died when he was a baby. Grandma had to tell him the truth when he enlisted for the army in 1939. He was 24 years old! Apparently he was never told the man's name, and nor were any relatives that were alive for me to ask. All I discovered was the father was married with a daughter and an invalid wife, and was the son of a "significant" person in the small community where they lived, possibly a mill owner/manager or similar. Grandma took the secret to her grave ....... and I have done everything possible to uncover it, without success.

I have been thinking of doing the DNA trace on ancestry dot com but it costs a bit and may not be that specific.
In fact my grandmother did marry my step grandfather eventually who brought my dad up as his own. but when gran died he married her sister and that lost him his position as the chairman of the North West Showmans Guild. Though like you all the people who could of helped me fill that void have passed away now. It's always rankled with me as I feel that I don't really know fully who I actually am and threfore what my genetic history is regarding things like predisposions to genetic conditions.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Bluetit1802 , @Guzzler and @JohnEGreen , You might all be old farts in years and having grown up grandchildren, but you definitely aren't in my book! I love having people on here who I can relate to (with all of my 41 childless years), if not always agree with, and I definitely do to you. I never even realised you were old enough to be my parents and I certainly never thought of you that way (and I won't start now if you don't mind. I prefer to think of you as 'just some nice people I met on the interwebs').
Of course it might help that none of you has a recognizable profile picture so I can't see the wrinkles o_O
Love you all!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I have been thinking of doing the DNA trace on ancestry dot com but it costs a bit and may not be that specific.
In fact my grandmother did marry my step grandfather eventually who brought my dad up as his own. but when gran died he married her sister and that lost him his position as the chairman of the North West Showmans Guild. Though like you all the people who could of helped me fill that void have passed away now. It's always rankled with me as I feel that I don't really know fully who I actually am and threfore what my genetic history is regarding things like predisposions to genetic conditions.
I recall a cartoon showing someone sitting in an office with "Geneology Services". He is talking to the person behind a desk and saying: "I just want to find out who to blame"!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@Bluetit1802 , @Guzzler and @JohnEGreen , You might all be old farts in years and having grown up grandchildren, but you definitely aren't in my book! I love having people on here who I can relate to (with all of my 41 childless years), if not always agree with, and I definitely do to you. I never even realised you were old enough to be my parents and I certainly never thought of you that way (and I won't start now if you don't mind. I prefer to think of you as 'just some nice people I met on the interwebs').
Of course it might help that none of you has a recognizable profile picture so I can't see the wrinkles o_O
Love you all!

What a lovely thing to say. I tried once to put a real picture as my avater but it threatened to break the internet so I gave up. G'night Antje. Sleep well.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had no problems with the jokes that were being made. I am saddened by the divide that was created.

Unfortunately, like it or not, T1 and T2 are two very different conditions and have separate causes. I have no problem with T1s wanting a separate thread or area in the forum, their condition is very specific. I doubt that many T2s would be interested in the minutiae of their treatment/ I'm T2 on insulin, but I wouldn't begin to equate my issues with those of T1s. If they want to have a separate area on the forum, it's their right to do so. The human race don't all get on, so I think it's a bit naive to expect a forum to be all happy families and get along together. Not being rude, but there is division everywhere in everyday life, we just need to get on with it, and stop being offended, and saddened by everything.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Love you all!

What a lovely thing to say, and as John said, your feelings are reciprocated. :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep your fingers crossed for me. I'm going to give my nurse a call tomorrow to ask if she's willing to apply for funding of my Libre for me. That won't be a problem, I expect, but she has to send a letter along to explain why she thinks it should be accepted, even though I'm not meeting all the criteria.
Problem is, I know a lot more about why I'm thinking I'm a type1 (had to tell her about the existence of c-peptide and anti-GAD tests, she'd never heard of it), and I write a lot better than she does too. Plus, you need to have had an Hba1c of over 64mmol/mol for a while, and mine was 38 last time and 42 a year ago. So she needs to clearly explain that that's only because I've been self-funding the Libre.

Well, as I'm not completely sure she shares my opinion about my diabetes, and I am completely sure she wouldn't be able to explain things short but clear to my insurance, I decided to write the letter for her. Of course she can change anything she wants to in it, before signing and sending it off , but still, presenting a proffessional with a letter they're supposed to have written and which you want them to sign seems delicate business.

So fingers crossed she won't be offended, agrees with the content and manages to get the GP to co-sign, as he's the official HCP regarding my treatment.

If this part works I'll come back to you later to cross fingers again for my insurance to agree.

And, hey, who knows, she might be happy I spared her the time of writing a letter, and she might even finally agree T1 is more likely than T2 now I've worded my reasons so clearly :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Keep your fingers crossed for me. I'm going to give my nurse a call tomorrow to ask if she's willing to apply for funding of my Libre for me. That won't be a problem, I expect, but she has to send a letter along to explain why she thinks it should be accepted, even though I'm not meeting all the criteria.
Problem is, I know a lot more about why I'm thinking I'm a type1 (had to tell her about the existence of c-peptide and anti-GAD tests, she'd never heard of it), and I write a lot better than she does too. Plus, you need to have had an Hba1c of over 64mmol/mol for a while, and mine was 38 last time and 42 a year ago. So she needs to clearly explain that that's only because I've been self-funding the Libre.

Well, as I'm not completely sure she shares my opinion about my diabetes, and I am completely sure she wouldn't be able to explain things short but clear to my insurance, I decided to write the letter for her. Of course she can change anything she wants to in it, before signing and sending it off , but still, presenting a proffessional with a letter they're supposed to have written and which you want them to sign seems delicate business.

So fingers crossed she won't be offended, agrees with the content and manages to get the GP to co-sign, as he's the official HCP regarding my treatment.

If this part works I'll come back to you later to cross fingers again for my insurance to agree.

And, hey, who knows, she might be happy I spared her the time of writing a letter, and she might even finally agree T1 is more likely than T2 now I've worded my reasons so clearly :)

Currently have everything crossed for you, best of luck.

Reactions: karen8967

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Goodluck antje77

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Everything is crossed for you - fingers, toes, eyes ..... Good luck. :)