Type 2 Diabetics wake up at 3:00 am ?

sgm14

Do you have evidence to support this theory of most or a lot of diabetics waking at 3am

Not exactly evidence, but another rather claim that "Most individuals with diabetes wake up around 3 in the morning," when talking about the Somogyi effect

Reactions: flonvic

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A few people have suggested that waking is due to BG going low.
My body also wakes when my BG goes high. And another symptom of going high is a need for a wee ... might be related?
Maybe the answer to the question could be found if you check your BG when you wake.

Reactions: flonvic and Omar51

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For at least 10 years, around when I was diagnosed with T2, I have woken up once or twice every night and have had to pee at least once. I always assumed it's connected with diabetes.
On the few occasions that I wear a Libre sensor my blood sugar shows flat around 5 all night, so if I can persuade Mrs DeeJay to let me sleep my life away I'll be even more healthy. Apart from being dead from dehydration, presumably.
There are other considerations like changes in body temperature during sleep and sleep cycles but I don't lose any sleep thinking about them.

ROSIETIA

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most or a lot of diabetics wake up at 3:am, including myself. I wonder why. Any suggestions to go back to bed ?. My thanks for sharing your thoughts!
I always waken at 3.15 every morning. I'm T2 diabetic ,I really don't know why this happens. My adult daughter also wakes at this time but she isn't diabetic.

Henry VIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Extremists.
Yes, I wake up at 3 am most nights. I don’t know why. I’m officially in remission (T2) and have been for a couple of years now. I only occasionally sleep all the way through. Like many I get up for a pee, never turn on the lights, and enjoy the thought that I have another 3 hours sleep time.

pelle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nasty people
Do you have evidence to support this theory of most or a lot of diabetics waking at 3am, @Omar51 ?

I know I don’t wake at that time.
I'm up quite a lot in the night ( loo breaks) but I wouldn't say 0300 necessarily, can I ask where has your evidence been taken from?

Duchess21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have chronic insiomnia and I can wake at 1 am, 2 am, 3 am etc, If I sleep 3 hrs in a row I’ve had a good night, my normal night is about 7 hrs in 1 or 2 hr stints with wide awake bits in between- my worse nights in no sleep at all. Last Saturday night I went to bed at 11.30 and finally got some sleep at 6am Sunday morning was up at 9.30 again.

Please don’t start and give me advice on sleep hygiene been there done it all nothing works. It’s a 30 odd year problem and I’ve learned to live with it. I could probably have better BG if I slept well but I probably never know
Well I could have written this!! I am exactly the same. Read until midnight, start to feel drowsy but as soon as my head hits the pillow my eyes pop open and I'm wide awake.

• Agree
Reactions: flonvic and VashtiB

stephenT2

In support of the OP, I regularly wake up at about 3am, normally for a 'comfort break'. Have done for years now, and yes, it's always at 3 no matter what time I go to bed at...

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I could have written this!! I am exactly the same. Read until midnight, start to feel drowsy but as soon as my head hits the pillow my eyes pop open and I'm wide awake.
Me too. My husband is a great sleeper and that's something I envy. I would like to be a better sleeper but like @lovinglife unrelated to diabetes as it is a longstanding problem of over 30 years. I think it''s more likely to be linked to my anxiety.

Rootitoot

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I hate people that drive selfishly/inconsiderately. Also, I hate getting up early (mainly because I sleep so badly !)
I have chronic insiomnia and I can wake at 1 am, 2 am, 3 am etc, If I sleep 3 hrs in a row I’ve had a good night, my normal night is about 7 hrs in 1 or 2 hr stints with wide awake bits in between- my worse nights in no sleep at all. Last Saturday night I went to bed at 11.30 and finally got some sleep at 6am Sunday morning was up at 9.30 again.

Please don’t start and give me advice on sleep hygiene been there done it all nothing works. It’s a 30 odd year problem and I’ve learned to live with it. I could probably have better BG if I slept well but I probably never know
I feel your pain - I am exactly the same ! There doesn't seem to be a particular pattern, but if I get a couple of hours (very occasionally 3) sleep between waking, I consider it a win. I probably average around 5 hrs per night. Often downstairs between 2and 5am for an hour or two. Very frustrating !

ROD 247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Most or a lot of diabetics wake up at 3:am, including myself. I wonder why. Any suggestions to go back to bed ?. My thanks for sharing your thoughts!
I do almost every night wake up between 3 - 3 45. I usualy go back but then wake up at 4 ish 5ish 6ish. Unless I go to sleep in the arm chair. The other night woke up at 2. 2 30 still awake. went to arm chair woek up at 815!

Hi Omar,
As a Diabetic I can honestly say that in my experience and other diabetics I have talked to would say that no one day is like another.
More than two years ago now I went through a bungled Kidney stone operation , The operation caused my diabetes to move to another level
where I needed to go on to insulin. My GP practice has had to put me on CGM (continual Glucose monitoring) ,
Even using a CGM device I can safely say that no one day is like the next , but if your are regularly waking at a specific time it would be good to use a CGM device and see if there is something happening at that time. !

Retanna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Avocado
I wake up and get up every day at 4am - 4.30am, can't get back to sleep so get up that time every day. Not sure it's related to my diabetes though?

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wake up several times a night, always have, diabetic and not. I am a very light sleeper in any case, and have many years of shift work behind me.