Diagnosed 4 months ago. Questions.

Rillum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
And how does it look after meals? Are you having succes keeping the blood sugar down and eating enough?

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks Rillum.
Didn't take it early this morning. Took it early afternoon after doing about 7 hours of strenuous housework. It was at 5.7. So I'm starting to understand that it is also any kind of activity will help insulin perform better.

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think I'm eating enough now, because I'm not as hungry as I used to be. I'm getting 1400-1500 cals daily and 20-30g carbs. I occasionally eat an Atkins bar and have found no spikes after eating it.

sheikmilc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After reading all these posts it only confuses me. I was recently told in the UK that I was pre diabetic and given a course of Metamorfin . I am now living in Malta and saw a doctor who prescribed metamorfin without tests. I am on a low carb diet and test myself regularly fasting 6.3 and 8 after meals. I eat quite a lot of fruit, very little red meat and do moderate exercise. My weight is dropping nicely and I drink beer once a week. So having had no proper guidance from medical staff am I on the right track ?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
After reading all these posts it only confuses me. I was recently told in the UK that I was pre diabetic and given a course of Metamorfin . I am now living in Malta and saw a doctor who prescribed metamorfin without tests. I am on a low carb diet and test myself regularly fasting 6.3 and 8 after meals. I eat quite a lot of fruit, very little red meat and do moderate exercise. My weight is dropping nicely and I drink beer once a week. So having had no proper guidance from medical staff am I on the right track ?
Maybe the second doctor just continued the metformin scripts on the basis of the earlier testing or diagnosis? Your numbers are good but you could probably get them a bit lower. Fruit is high in carbs, unless you are eating berries and the occasional apple. I would keep taking the metformin if I were you. Also read the newbie info at this post:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/diagnosed-4-months-ago-questions.80634/#post-901463

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can't find anything regarding supplements on the site. What's everyone's experience with taking them. I've taken chromium picolanate and salmon oil for many years for hypoglycemia. I've continued to take them. I was reading a lot about biotin, alpha lipioc acid and CLA. Does anyone take these? I also take magnesium citrate. But I started taking this for insomnia. Just read it is also good for controlling glucose levels.

Rillum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I take vitamin D, but that's because I had a vitamin D deficiency

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ok. I went on low carbs. I have now lost too much weight. I don't know how to eat more without increasing my carbs. But I really need to regain about 5 more pounds.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Ok. I went on low carbs. I have now lost too much weight. I don't know how to eat more without increasing my carbs. But I really need to regain about 5 more pounds.
I suggest eating more protein and fats. There are some others here who have experience of this issue and can make suggestions about what to do. Hopefully they will see your post, but if you don't get many responses, start a new thread and that will bring them in.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have not had this problem yet as I am still slowly losing weight on LCHF. I suppose at some point I will need to think about maintenance of a healthy weight and blood glucose level.But off the top of my head why not try:

Full fat creamy cheese like Brie, Cheddar, Gouda etc and lots of it.
Tuna or swordfish steaks, nice meaty fish.
Stews or homemade soups, there is a thread here specifically for this.
Try baking low carb breads and add pate and cold meats.
Cream in coffee or just cream and berries.

I am sure I read some years ago that passengers on the QE2 ocean liner ate so many calories that on average they gained between 1 and 2 pounds per day!

Perhaps not a good idea but a happy medium may work.

Rillum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
My go to food is sugar free chocolate mousse or lemon mousse with skyr in it (a kind of protein-rich yoghurt).